2018 Expy engine different than F150 Ecoboost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy C

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to the forum, as wife and I is in the market for the new Expy after long long comparison testing driving to find a vehicle that fits our family. Finding the right optioned vehicle and negotiation is all there is left at this point.

Anyhow, I thought the 2018 Expy and F150 had the exact same engine, but I noticed that they are slightly different.
1) F-150 is Dual port injection - PFI and DI; Expy DI only? Per their spec page
2) F-150 has compression ratio at 10.5:1 vs Expy 10:1

I was under the assumption they were the exact same engine, maybe tuned slightly different, but maybe not the case????

Anyone care to chime in?

Reading this forum is helping me learning more and more about this vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Andy and welcome abroad!! Haven’t dug into the engine much but I know mine is the 3.5 DI EcoBoost. I have also heard the 150 engines are a tad different while a few are the same. Guess I should do a little research myself. Again glad to have you as a member!!

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both the F150 and the Expedition use the same engine including PFI and DI with 10.5:1 compression. The Navigator on the other hand uses the Raptor version of the engine also with PFI and DI, but with a 10:1 compression ratio. The GT40 also uses the 3.5 Ecoboost with a little reworking. It also has PFI and DI but with a aluminum intake manifold, cast stainless exhaust manifolds, forged steel connecting rods, 9.0:1 compression ratio, and 7000rpm redline.

OP
OP
A

Andy C

Reaction score
Hey Andy and welcome abroad!! Haven’t dug into the engine much but I know mine is the 3.5 DI EcoBoost. I have also heard the 150 engines are a tad different while a few are the same. Guess I should do a little research myself. Again glad to have you as a member!!
Thanks...looking forward to getting to know Ford's vehicles in long time. I hope I can make some contribution to the forum as I am not as familiar with Ford vehicles, but one can always learn.

Both the F150 and the Expedition use the same engine including PFI and DI with 10.5:1 compression. The Navigator on the other hand uses the Raptor version of the engine also with PFI and DI, but with a 10:1 compression ratio. The GT40 also uses the 3.5 Ecoboost with a little reworking. It also has PFI and DI but with a aluminum intake manifold, cast stainless exhaust manifolds, forged steel connecting rods, 9.0:1 compression ratio, and 7000rpm redline.
So, what you are stating is that Ford's spec sheet is incorrect? Is there a way I can physically check under the hood to find out with engine cover off?

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks...looking forward to getting to know Ford's vehicles in long time. I hope I can make some contribution to the forum as I am not as familiar with Ford vehicles, but one can always learn.

So, what you are stating is that Ford's spec sheet is incorrect? Is there a way I can physically check under the hood to find out with engine cover off?

Welcome to the forum, one of the things to keep in mind, you are asking questions but you are not citing where (other than Ford), you are obtaining your information.
There are at times, the potential for errors, especially if a website "quotes" specs from another site.

The specs on the 2018 Expedition are the same as the F-150, unless my Factory service manual has a typographical error, pic attached...also, I had no idea brake pads would be warrantied at all, bonus.

Screenshot_20181105-105705.png

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several sources that can be used to obtain compression ratios including the owners manuals which can be downloaded from Fords web site. It is not visually possible to directly determine compression ratio and horsepower other than find a tag with the engine designation and then cross reference it. Here is the link to a previous post, look at number 13. It has the variations and the source links.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/tuning-software-available-from-5-star.36317/page-2

OP
OP
A

Andy C

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, one of the things to keep in mind, you are asking questions but you are not citing where (other than Ford), you are obtaining your information.
There are at times, the potential for errors, especially if a website "quotes" specs from another site.

The specs on the 2018 Expedition are the same as the F-150, unless my Factory service manual has a typographical error, pic attached...also, I had no idea brake pads would be warrantied at all, bonus.

View attachment 27518
I should've been more clear where my sources are from. It is actually directly from Ford Website, under Expedition spec sheet. I circled the compression and Fuel delivery. I know sometimes these web masters just copy and paste the information, so that's why I decided to ask this questions to this forum.

Per manual that you have posted, it looks like Ford website has the incorrect information on compression.

I wouldn't think Ford would remove dual injection from Expedition, but still can't confirm this information.
upload_2018-11-5_10-28-5.png

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are a lot of editing errors these days no matter where you look. It may have to do with voice programs. I keep a copy of the owners manual on my computers and check for updates occasionally. They are on the third revision and there are still some mistakes.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are a lot of editing errors these days no matter where you look. It may have to do with voice programs. I keep a copy of the owners manual on my computers and check for updates occasionally. They are on the third revision and there are still some mistakes.

Indeed, as yet another example...
If you look at the bottom of the page of service manual screenshot, you'd see it's the 2nd.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should've been more clear where my sources are from. It is actually directly from Ford Website, under Expedition spec sheet. I circled the compression and Fuel delivery. I know sometimes these web masters just copy and paste the information, so that's why I decided to ask this questions to this forum.

Per manual that you have posted, it looks like Ford website has the incorrect information on compression.

I wouldn't think Ford would remove dual injection from Expedition, but still can't confirm this information.
View attachment 27519
I own a 2018 Expedition & a 2018 Ford F150 with 3.5L eco boost
Both have both GDI & Port injection
Both have 10.5 compression ratio
The 450hp version used in the raptor & NAVI have 10:0 compression ratio

From 2018 EXPY order guide published May 2018

ENGINE HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE RATINGS*
NOMINAL 50-STATE
COMPRESSION HORSEPOWER TORQUE
ENGINE DISPL. TRANSMISSION RATIO H.P. @ RPM FT. LBS. @ RPM
4x2 and 4x4
3.5L EcoBoost®