2018 Expy Max XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just purchased (meaning yesterday afternoon) a 2018 Expy Max XLT 4x4, uprading from a 2007 Expy EL Limited. I really like the style and features (miss my shifter/hand rest). Second day, inspecting everything and went to play with the third row recline button and I notice a 2" cut in the leather on the back rest, agghhh. Where they may have cut the leather while cutting off shipping plastic.

I've also noticed that when driving up an incline the transmission kind of shudders when I apply more power it smooths out after shifting, but you can feel the vibration throughout the cabin, or least I can. Is this normal that the 6 cylinder gets a little overwhelmed on inclines? It is not a misfire that I can tell. I'm not talking steep inclines. I just don't have any reference to how it's supposed to feel but it certainly doesn't feel as smooth as a $65000 SUV should.

Any input would be helpful, I'm hoping I'm just imagining things with the tranny.

0DAE7B3D-3FAF-4B03-B4B5-D2978C425D3D.jpeg

CCD21431-E476-4937-9D4F-26448A959F40.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I contacted the sales rep with pics. They had an exterior inspection sheet but no interior sign off and I just didn't notice it. I'm pretty sure the dealership will take care of it, or at least they better

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did for me. Same thing but on the driver seat. No incline shudder though.

Joe Procita

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any shudder. Actually really impressed with the 6 cylinder. Got about 1200 miles on our XLT Max. Nice to see someone else other than myself with a sub $75,000 Expedition!

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These new fuel-saving engines use cylinder deactivation technology. Our current MDX with a V6 has it too. Engine cuts off fuel to 2 cylinders under minimal load to save fuel. This causes some extra vibrations as the 2 cylinders are running empty. When you apply more throttle, they activate. It's pretty harmless (assuming that's the reason in your case).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford doesn't use cylinder deactivation Instead they turbocharge and use smaller engines it's two different approaches to fuel economy basically. As far as the shutter take it to your dealer and ask them if there are any updates they can do and re flash the transmission, probably a bug.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That cut in the leather stinks. Someone in too much of a hurry and didn't care... I thought I noted a shudder the 1st day or two of driving and then discovered it was the Auto Stop-Start feature many don't like. It only occurs if you come to a complete stop. The engine shuts off and comes back on when you release the brake pedal. If I was quick and went immediately onto the gas I noticed what I would describe as a shudder. I've learned to let off the brake and allow that 1/2 second for the engine to come up before stepping on the throttle. I'm actually impressed with how transparent the shifts are. If it wasn't for the 1-10 on the dash, I really can't tell when it's shifting under light acceleration.

If this is happening not from a dead stop but when starting up a hill, the dealer needs to take this for a ride and check it out. Does yours have selectable driving modes (Tow/Haul, Normal, Eco, etc.)? If so, does it shudder like that in the other modes?

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow up: Ford is going to replace the third row leather but it's going to take awhile for them to manufacture and send to dealership, but at least they are making it right.

I'm hoping the vibrations I'm feeling are just part of the break in period. It feels under powered when on inclines but powers through just fine when I give it gas. The manual says the transmission is "adaptive" and learns my driving style and shift accordingly. We'll see, I bought the extended warranty so im not too worried about it.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Follow up: Ford is going to replace the third row leather but it's going to take awhile for them to manufacture and send to dealership, but at least they are making it right.

I'm hoping the vibrations I'm feeling are just part of the break in period. It feels under powered when on inclines but powers through just fine when I give it gas. The manual says the transmission is "adaptive" and learns my driving style and shift accordingly. We'll see, I bought the extended warranty so im not too worried about it.
Being so new, you can make your engine “re learn” the shift points. I did this after I stalling my cold air intake system and 35s on my 16. Disconnect the battery and turn your headlights on for 30 minutes. This drains all the power in the capacitors and wipes out the keep alive memory of the shift points. There are certain steps you have to take after reconnecting the battery but Ford tech Makuloco has a good video on the re learn process. Worked like a charm.