2018 Front License Plate Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m really curious how removing this had no change in mpg. Isn’t the whole point of this point to move air away from the front of the tires?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m really curious how removing this had no change in mpg. Isn’t the whole point of this point to move air away from the front of the tires?
You can read a lot of things on-line about the benefits of the air dam (helps MPG, helps cooling because it directs air to the front of the vehicle, helps with handling because it smooths out airflow under the vehicle, etc.). I honestly don't know how much of that is BS, however.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it wasnt needed, it wouldnt be there!! thats a fact. now to what extent.....who knows

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it wasnt needed, it wouldnt be there!! thats a fact. now to what extent.....who knows

Agree 100%. The engineers think the truck is better with it. They wouldn’t have spent money to install it otherwise. Maybe it’s just so they can squeak out an extra 0.5mpg or maybe its traction or something else. Who knows. So it’s a form v function trade off.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No matter what I do, it’s getting much worse mpg than advertised. Removing an air dam isn’t going to make much difference there, but sure does look better and you won’t have to worry about ruining it on every standard curb. I think mine will come off today !

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could imagine is also reduces noise, less airflow under the vehicle, had mine on a lift at the office, the sound deadening materiel used in the wheel wells and belly pans much more than simple plastic. Car companies are now putting active grill shutters on vehicle to optimize air flow. If I recall correctly air resistance is exponential with speed, I like to set the cruise approx. 10 over the limit so mostly 79. I could thnk every bit helps

OP
OP
Heather Vines

Heather Vines

Reaction score
Happy to report I’ve put about 500 miles on mine since taking it off the other day and have not been able to detect any difference in gas mileage, around town or on the highway and the road noise sounds the same as well.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet the front air dam improves fuel economy or air flow. Otherwise, why would Ford spend money to put it on?