2018 Ham Radio install and a couple of other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

resq-comm

Reaction score
ok a quick update (again). the RES was fixed... it was a bad power connection in the driver's seat back. apparently, the back of the front seats has a hidden zipper that is used to access the wiring inside the seat back. I still haven't had a chance to look at this myself as my wife had the Expy in Florida and visited a dealer there.

Now that we are getting into Spring here in Maryland, I will start to research the 12v power question. does anyone have a good list of which fuses (and fuse locations) are associated with which 12v power port?

Thanks!

Adam

Bonk

Reaction score
Quick follow up on another option.

1) mount the radio in the armrest. this fits various radios. seems to be specific to a subset of "race radios", however, check the dimensions of the mount options and you will find something that may work for your radio. I used a small block of oak and picked up some longer bolts at the local hardware store. https://www.ruggedradios.com/collec...nt-for-ford-raptor-file-hanger-center-console
2) run the antenna through a firewall boot. mount onto the hood with one of these.

You’ll be able to run the antenna through the center console under the cup holders easily. Drill a couple small holes large enough for wire and use a grommet to protect wires. Route the power wires under the seat, along the floor to the fuse panel. Find a tap on the panel to fit your need.
https://www.americanradiosupply.com/2015-2020-ford-no-hole-antenna-mounting-bracket-fo3antncg-r/

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

resq-comm

Reaction score
So, the final on this thread, at least from the original questions...

The power ports... I used fused jumpers from fuse location to the incoming power of stud on the fuse panel. I only did the on dash port and the one in the center console. No need for the 2nd or 3rd rows to be active 100% of the time. Interesting note.. The manual and the fuse block state there are 5 12v accessory ports, yet, I can only find 4.. front dash, inside center console, rear of center console for 2nd row seating adn rear passenger side for 3rd row. Anyone know where the missing one is?

KC7HP

Reaction score
Although late to the party, I would like to add that it worked out really well in my old Explorer installation to run constant battery voltage through a Powerwerx APO3 automatic power off switch. I set it up with a high voltage cut-off and ten minutes count-down. That gave me enough operating time igntion-off without problem draining the battery.