2018 sluggish acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your opinion what steps should I take? Are the spark plugs a good place to start? I’m going to download the torque app and see if I can get anything from that. I know It’s bad bc my wife noticed and she not one to complain or notice issues with cars.
Torque will enable you to see pending codes that haven't thrown a check engine light. I would start there to assess whether there is a mechanical issue.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In your opinion what steps should I take? Are the spark plugs a good place to start? I’m going to download the torque app and see if I can get anything from that. I know It’s bad bc my wife noticed and she not one to complain or notice issues with cars.
You already have the plugs, get them in. I have seen post after post From @LokiWolf about how these EcoBoosts are very hard on spark plugs.
If the plugs you take out are really bad, don't forget to post a picture.

19FX4Max

Reaction score
@lefty hack On our 2019 sluggish acceleration led to a replaced valve body and then 1,000 miles later a rebuilt transmission, all under warranty. I'm hoping the rebuild holds up and we are trouble free moving forward.

OP
OP
lefty hack

lefty hack

Reaction score
Oh man
@lefty hack On our 2019 sluggish acceleration led to a replaced valve body and then 1,000 miles later a rebuilt transmission, all under warranty. I'm hoping the rebuild holds up and we are trouble free moving forward.
I hope that’s not what I’m in for new spark plugs are going in today

19FX4Max

Reaction score
Oh man

I hope that’s not what I’m in for new spark plugs are going in today
Hopefully plugs solve your problem. Ours only has 32,000 miles on it, 1,000 miles since the transmission rebuild. The day after picking it up from the transmission rebuild the catalytic converter went out so we had to wait 5 weeks since they were on back order. The dealer finally found one at another dealership to purchase and 2 hours after picking it up we took the Expedition on a 1,000 mile trip over the weekend. I was a little nervous hitting the road without having some trouble free miles but it did great and I was glad to have it back. These really our great vehicles when not having problems. Hopefully the issues we've had this summer (also had a alternator go bad between the valve body replacement and rebuild) are behind us and we can have a few years of trouble free service.

OP
OP
lefty hack

lefty hack

Reaction score
I’m not a spark plug expert but these look pretty bad. 75000 miles. Acceleration is much better. I’ll wait to fully judge until I spend a day driving. I run regular right now. I asked the dealer a couple years ago and they said not to run premium… not sure I agree. Any thoughts on whether premium would help?

Attachments

• 14EE8C2D-90B6-4483-8DC9-0C59A65E9049.jpeg
    14EE8C2D-90B6-4483-8DC9-0C59A65E9049.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 8

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ecoboost Expedition runs much better on premium. Even at part throttle it runs more timing and its a noticeable difference. It also runs more boost and gets better mpg on premium.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I run regular right now. I asked the dealer a couple years ago and they said not to run premium… not sure I agree. Any thoughts on whether premium would help?
Read your owners manual. says you can run regular but, your vehicle does much better on premium.