2019 Braking performance with 6,000 lb TT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckslivin

Reaction score
Did my maiden voyage this weekend with 2019 exp max with towing package. Travel Trailer is about 6,000 lbs loaded.

Problem I am having is I can not get enough braking power to keep trailer from pushing truck. I know this is not a true test but can’t lock the breaks manually even on boost 10. The connection is being made bc there is some trailer braking but not enough or normal compared to my previous towing vehicles.

Anyone else have a similar experience with a similar configuration where the trailer brake controller appears to not be sending a strong enough signal to trailer brakes? Any advice from other travel trailer towers will be appreciated. Thanks!

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a setting elsewhere in the configuration to set the "range" for the brake signal. Probably under the trailer configuration - I can't seem to find it in the manual but I remember setting it when I set up my TT.

OP
OP
B

Buckslivin

Reaction score
Yeah, it is set to largest trailer and gain is maxed to 10. I’m testing the trailer tomorrow with a different vehicle so I can rule out/in the trailer or the brake controller that is causing issues.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a tester that I can check the 7 pin connecter on the truck and test the trailer 7 pin. That might help.
You can pick one up for $30-$40

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it is set to largest trailer and gain is maxed to 10. I’m testing the trailer tomorrow with a different vehicle so I can rule out/in the trailer or the brake controller that is causing issues.

What happens when you operate the brakes with the manual slider? Are the trailer brakes still very weak?

OP
OP
B

Buckslivin

Reaction score
When I operate the slider, at 20 mph, I get no tangible response until I set it to 10. At 10 (highest setting), I get a small response, barely noticable....

I left it at 10 for my trip today but I had to be careful...at lights I had to brake progressively firm on the brake pedal for a controlled stop and I heard/felt the trailer moving forward in the coupler...

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I operate the slider, at 20 mph, I get no tangible response until I set it to 10. At 10 (highest setting), I get a small response, barely noticable....

I left it at 10 for my trip today but I had to be careful...at lights I had to brake progressively firm on the brake pedal for a controlled stop and I heard/felt the trailer moving forward in the coupler...

Then I definitely can see why you are concerned. With our trailer (about 7000 lbs) you can definitely feel the braking even when the slider is lightly engaged. I think you're on the right track to test the trailer with another vehicle to try to isolate whether the issue is with your factory controller vs the trailer. Just one additional thought--have you tried activating the breakaway switch to see if that strongly engages the trailer brakes? That may save you the trouble of testing it with another vehicle.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Maybe an issue with the trailer brakes themselves? I have the opposite issue. If I have the IBC anything over 2.0, my trailer brakes lock up. However when doing the the 20mph test and triggering manual brakes it indicates I should be about 6.0 gain. Odd thing is this trailer worked fine in my 2010 expy with a prodigy controller. Now with the 2017 IBC this started happening.

OP
OP
B

Buckslivin

Reaction score
Just got back from the RV dealer, it was the trailer brakes. It is a brand new trailer and the technician said the brakes were set all the way out and not generating any heat so they couldnt set. He adjusted them (which I assume means tightened) and they are much better. It will still take about 100 miles to set but I think this is now solved.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65