2019 Expedition Max - Numerous Faults - Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dryan117

Reaction score
OK, This morning went to start my 2019 Expedition Max and it would not start - pressing the start button turns the electrical but will not enable the starter to turn over the engine. The dash reported the following faults:

Park Aid Fault
Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
Service AdvanceTrac
Park Brake Limited Function Service Required
See Manual
Blind Spot System Fault
Cross Traffic System Fault
Hill Decent Control Fault
Hill Start Assist Not Available

Also, the brake pedal feels "Hard" and putting on and taking off the parking brake seems OK - you can hear the electric motors whirrring. The gear selector dial has Park "P" flashing, and will not move, even with the screwdriver in the center consol slot trick. I replaced the battery and it is tested good. I have no idea what is going on. Ran fine on Saturday! No obvious damage or mud on the parking sensors. No visible bad fuses. Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to get it towed to the dealer, plus with it stuck in Park it will need to be flatbeded!!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, This morning went to start my 2019 Expedition Max and it would not start - pressing the start button turns the electrical but will not enable the starter to turn over the engine. The dash reported the following faults:

Park Aid Fault
Service AdvanceTrac
See Manual
Blind Spot System Fault

Also, the brake pedal feels "Hard" and putting on and taking off the parking brake seems OK - you can hear the electric motors whirrring. The gear selector dial has Park "P" flashing, and will not move, even with the screwdriver in the center consol slot trick. I replaced the battery and it is tested good. I have no idea what is going on. Ran fine on Saturday! No obvious damage or mud on the parking sensors. No visible bad fuses. Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to get it towed to the dealer, plus with it stuck in Park it will need to be flatbeded!!

From afar - a bad battery and/or loose or corroded battery terminal connectors.

You said you replaced the battery - but was it fully charged? Did you use a new battery?

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, This morning went to start my 2019 Expedition Max and it would not start - pressing the start button turns the electrical but will not enable the starter to turn over the engine.
Brake pedal must be pushed to enable start, even if it is a hard brake pedal. It does not need to depress a lot, just a little to activate the brake pedal switch. When you push the brake pedal, the green LED in the power button illuminates to indicate starting is enabled. If the green LED does not illuminate, you will get 12V power, but no crank.

Possible brake pedal switch fault. When pushing the brake pedal, do your brake lights illuminate?

OP
OP
D

dryan117

Reaction score
Brake pedal must be pushed to enable start, even if it is a hard brake pedal. It does not need to depress a lot, just a little to activate the brake pedal switch. When you push the brake pedal, the green LED in the power button illuminates to indicate starting is enabled. If the green LED does not illuminate, you will get 12V power, but no crank.

Possible brake pedal switch fault. When pushing the brake pedal, do your brake lights illuminate?
Green LED lights, Brake lights are functional while pressing brake pedal.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably gonna need some diagnostics. Curious if you live in a Salt state where the roads get a lot of salt or near the ocean? I am leaning towards a poor ground connection someplace.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Battery is good. Brand new, charged up
I fourth what the other three members that posted you need to check battery cables/possible lifted ground.
When multiple systems go at once, more times than not it is a lifted ground.

Easiest way to check,
Do a "Voltage Drop Test" to make sure all battery cables and connections are good and you are not loosing voltage thru a bad connection/cable.
Do this on the positive side and ground side of the battery.

OP
OP
D

dryan117

Reaction score

Park Aid Fault
Service AdvanceTrac
See Manual
Blind Spot System Fault

It was a cracked housing on the Transmission Control Module - moisture got in and fried the circuit board. $1k fix.