2019 MAX Model- does rear end sag towing heavy loads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgliner

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 2019 Expedition MAX. Either the Limited or Platinum with Heavy Duty Tow Package. I will be towing a car trailer and car at times which is about 7k lbs. Will the rear end sag?

I have run Navigators for years that had factory rear air bag suspension to adjust to load levels. Dealer told me the Expeditions don't have this feature.

If they do sag, does anyone make a rear air bag feature over the axles to adjust for heavy loads?

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't that depend on whether or not you use a weight-distributing hitch? I tow a trailer that is pushing 7000 lbs, with a tongue weight of about 850 lbs. I get no visible sag but I do use a WDH. If I release the WD chains, there is definitely some sag.

ag4wake

Reaction score
I tow a 6000 boat (incl trailer) and have heavy duty package. In my initial look at getting an 2018 expedition max I was worried about not having the load leveling suspension. I just towed our boat for the first time with just me in the car and it went fine. Barely any drop on the hitch when I hooked it up. Maybe like 1/2 inch, or possibly not even that. I had thought about getting a WDH but now I may not as it was pretty much perfect.

Now if I have the expedition loaded up for a trip and the family aboard maybe I will find a difference.

So far so good.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn’t the answer going to depend almost entirely on tongue weight? Note the receiver itself is rated to a max dead drop (non-weight distributing) tongue weight of 600lbs. Our travel trailer is pretty tongue heavy at 930lbs. There’s definitely a good bit of sag without the spring bars hooked up, but pretty much none with the bars connected.