2019 Max overheating when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jak1221

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition Max with the heavy duty towing option. I live in Arizona and have a 7500lbs trailer. I just purchased the Max it has 1100 miles on it with no problems. So, last weekend we used it to tow our trailer up to the mountains. I previously had 2013 Expedition and towed the same trailer with no issues. With the 2019 the engine and trailer temperature got over 240F. So, I had to pull off and turn off AC. I thought that with 3.5 Ecoboost that added power would help and it does tow stronger, but it overheats. 2013 Expedition never got hot. Does anyone know or transmission cooler or bigger radiator for 2019 Expeditions?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How fast were you going? My transmission got hot when towing under 25mph up a steep road (stick behind a slow truck) but engine did not get hot at all (ambient temp was 90). I would think if you are pulling at a faster speed and still getting hot then something is wrong and you should head to the dealer. My buddy was a few minutes behind us and was in his f150 and wasn't stuck going slow and he didn't get hot at all.

OP
OP
J

jak1221

Reaction score
I was over 50mph when it heated up. At slower speeds it is fine. I had the dealer check it and they said all systems are functioning as designed. I have found transmission coolers and oil coolers for F150 with 3.5, but not Expeditions. So, I think I will buy one and see if they fit. I was also curious if Raptor radiator is larger and would fit. I have had Ron Davis build radiators for old cars and they are good, but pricey. Just didn't think I would be in this position with a new vehicle.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
240 is HOT! I hope you didn't damage anything. And leaving the AC on will keep the radiator fan running, which should help keep it cooler. My old Malibu will get up to around 220 if caught in bumper to bumper traffic, and as soon as I turn the ac on or defrost on in during winter, it will drop back down to 200-210, fast.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
I was over 50mph when it heated up. At slower speeds it is fine. I had the dealer check it and they said all systems are functioning as designed. I have found transmission coolers and oil coolers for F150 with 3.5, but not Expeditions. So, I think I will buy one and see if they fit. I was also curious if Raptor radiator is larger and would fit. I have had Ron Davis build radiators for old cars and they are good, but pricey. Just didn't think I would be in this position with a new vehicle.
I wonder how the Dealer knows that "all systems are functioning as designed"? Sounds like a cursory check to me. Sounds like BS. If all systems were functioning as designed it would not be doing that, right? These things can't tow without overheating, by design? Can't the Dealer escalate to Ford for support? I think I would be pushing back on them pretty hard. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/overheating-ecoboost.36445/

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this...a few questions: Was your engine coolant or trans fluid 240F? I have towed almost 1600 miles now with our 18 Max with HD tow with a 8300lb 34ft Jayco all over Michigan so far this summer. Hottest the trans has gotten was 225F and it was 90F outside with some city driving. I dont have a way to monitor the Coolant temps, but never had an issue so far. 7500 miles on ours so far. I tow at 65-70mph.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also what was the ambient temps when towing, and what grade fuel? I am now using 91+ octane when towing in hot weather...per the manual.

OP
OP
J

jak1221

Reaction score
I was using 91 octane as well. The transmission temperature hit 240 then coolant hit 240 and I turned off ac and pulled off left motor running for about ten minutes and temperature were down to 205 and I started again. I didn't push over about 3500 rpms the rest of the trip and it didn't go over 225 on transmission again. Ambient temperature were about 105. I saw some of the F150 forums about overheating and I have seen bigger transmission coolers for them. Watching the gauges the transmission temperature seemed to push the coolant temperature up. So, I was thinking transmission cooler first. But I was hope to find one someone else had used.

As for the dealer I agree I should complain more but at this point I don't have confidence that they will be any help.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2018 Expy had issues with the cooler lines that were leaking. I never saw anything on the ground (would only leak when pressurized) so they had to change some lines. Mine would over heat without towing and in the winter...

Also, if you aren't getting attention or confidence from your current dealer, switch maybe?