2019 Rear Seat Entertainment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to say I'm really disappointed with the RSE system. I thought it would be better than the GMC offering, but it's not. Their system might be a single roof mounted screen, but at least it's controllable from the front screen.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. I was disappointed with the lack of Sync integration. If I had to do it over again, I would go aftermarket. Voxx makes some really nice RSE touch screen systems for less than the Ford OEM system. From the pics I found they integrate perfectly with the Expedition interior.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. I was disappointed with the lack of Sync integration. If I had to do it over again, I would go aftermarket. Voxx makes some really nice RSE touch screen systems for less than the Ford OEM system. From the pics I found they integrate perfectly with the Expedition interior.

We put a 128gb SD card in and it's full of movies and shows. I figure it'll get less annoying as the kids get older and can control it themselves. Right now it's a PITA trying to reach over from the passenger seat on road trips to change movies etc.

Also, are the wireless headphones on yours really hissy/quiet? Do you know if you can replace them with different wireless headphones? Or only wired?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My daughter is 18 months and hates the headsets so we use the car speakers.

It's been a year since I tried the OEM headsets so let me get back to you after I find them. We have a wired pair that my wife uses when she's in the back. I'll ask her about the hiss and see if I can connect my Galaxy Buds to the back.

What format are your movies and how did you rip them?

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.voxxelectronics.com/universal-seatback/?sku=AVXSB10UHD2
Those are the ones I bought. They are fabulous and are controlled from an app on my phone (or my wife's phone as she sits in the passenger seat). The only downside is they don't play nice with the Auto Start/Stop, so I had to buy an AS/S Eliminator and disable that "feature"...no biggie.

$1300 on Amazon and MUCH better than the factory RSE. And yes, if you didn't know they were aftermarket, you wouldn't know it; they integrate perfectly with the seats/interior.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...Also, are the wireless headphones on yours really hissy/quiet? Do you know if you can replace them with different wireless headphones? Or only wired?

I was able to connect my Galaxy Buds via Bluetooth to Monitor A and listen to a video. There was no hiss.

I found one of the original RSE RF headsets. There is an audible hiss in the background that starts around 50% volume and increases as the volume goes up.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We put a 128gb SD card in and it's full of movies and shows...

I've tried a 64GB and 128GB SD card formatted in exFAT and FAT32. In both instances, I can only see the first video out of 28. All the files are less than 700MB each. I'm waiting to hear back from Voxx Intl support but I'd like to figure it out myself.

I tried again with Handbrake to rip the all DVD's to the M4V format, but the RSE still only recognizes the first one. I moved them over to a 64GB USB drive with the same result. What do I need to update to get the system to recognize the rest of the files?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fizzy - You mentioned in another thread that the manual specifies the encoding method, so here's the table for reference. I'll give it a shot and post back tomorrow or when I have time to try again.

encoding.JPG

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fizzy - I confirmed the videos are M4V encoded with H.264 so I'm REALLY curious about the format and codec you utilized. Have a good night :)

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to connect my Galaxy Buds via Bluetooth to Monitor A and listen to a video. There was no hiss.

I found one of the original RSE RF headsets. There is an audible hiss in the background that starts around 50% volume and increases as the volume goes up.

That's awesome - so any bluetooth headset should work. I'll be tossing the factory ones into the firepit this weekend!