2019 Rear Seat Entertainment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSingh

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the info so far on the RES.
I got a 2018 with the RES and it won’t recognize my rips. I converted to MP4 and loaded onto a USB but it doesn’t read.
Any suggestions?
I use a Mac could it be a formatting issue?
File size too large?
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Did you rip from iTunes or DVD? If you ripped from iTunes they would still be copy protected unless you use a piece of software to remove the copy protection - converting to MP4 on it's own doesn't remove the iTunes protection

Also I reduced the file size massively by using a lower resolution when I converted - you don't need 3gb/4gb HD file sizes for that size screen - I dropped them down to a Tablet format and each video is now only about 500Mb

Thanks

Mark

GSingh

Reaction score
Mark, Thanks for replying immediately trying to help me out.
I apologize for the extremely late reply.

I figured out the problem. I do have a program I use to remove copy protection (for my own use only).
I tried every file format possible before realizing the USB stick was formatted for my optimization on my Mac computer.
It was formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the system wouldn't recognize it.
I then formatted the USB stick as MS-DOS (FAT32) and every single one of my rips worked as the USB was finally recognized.

Thank you again

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AnyDVD converter works, but it’***** and miss. I’ve converted about 20 so far and they all seem to work (some better than others; audio lag mainly)

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I hate creating new threads with similar issues. My '19 has RSE and I'm trying to figure it out. Without the guide from Ford and this thread, I'd be lost.

From what I can two tell (and seems to be verified in this thread), the RSE is completely separate from Sync 3.

Is there any way to connect my Galaxy S21 to use Android Auto and mirror the maps to the rear displays without loosing Internet activity? It looks like they all need to be on the same access point (FordFES-WiFi) but it doesn't have Internet access.

Thank you

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ripped a dozen DVD's to .M4V files on a FAT32 formatted 16GB USB stick using Handbrake and the RSE only sees 5 of them. They're all by the same company, less than 400MB each, and play fine with Plex on my home system. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the lincoln, the monitors can bluetooth to the main radio.

There are delay setting u have to play with if you want the voice to sync with the movie.

I didn't use the bluetooth option, b/c the sync was off all the time.

explorersvt

Reaction score
I ripped a dozen DVD's to .M4V files on a FAT32 formatted 16GB USB stick using Handbrake and the RSE only sees 5 of them. They're all by the same company, less than 400MB each, and play fine with Plex on my home system. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
I ran into the same thing, i could never get more than a few videos to show up no matter how they were formatted. If you have an Android maybe look into the ford play app. you can stream content directly from you phone / sd card to the screens without the video playing on your phone at the same time, there is also a remote function in there.

okiexpy

Reaction score
I ran into the same thing, i could never get more than a few videos to show up no matter how they were formatted. If you have an Android maybe look into the ford play app. you can stream content directly from you phone / sd card to the screens without the video playing on your phone at the same time, there is also a remote function in there.
tell me more! We just purchased a 2020 with the rse. We have S21 ultras (android) and I would like to use android auto for longer trips but my kids are so young they cant manipulate the rse nor are they able to wear the headphones for the audio. I can't figure out how to have android auto on and the audio still play aloud through the expys speakers.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on my research, I can confirm Ford's RSE (Made my Voxx International) is universally hated. Now I understand why all the Ford stores tried to steer us toward an aftermarket system. Voxx makes some great headrest systems, but this is not one of them.

Here's what I've consolidated from previous posts and my research:
  1. Ford stores hate dealing with the RSE
  2. The RSE and Sync are completely separate.
  3. Pairing the RSE to Sync as a Bluetooth accessory (just like pairing a phone) will get sound on all car speakers but you'll need to adjust the audio delay using the RSE remote or options menu on the RSE screen while the video is playing. This will need to be done every time you start the system.
  4. Email support is available at the following address: [email protected]
  5. Phone support is available through the Voxx International OEM group during normal business hours M-F at 866-869-7888 (Orlando, FL)
  6. The model and hardware version of the RSE can be found by selecting the screen tilt button on the driver's side unit. It's printed on a white sticker opposite the LCD.
  7. Here's the manual http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...er_information/EVOOwnersManualFord1-26-18.pdf
  8. There is a WiFi software update option in the RSE menu but I haven't been able to get it to download any updates. When selecting, "Update," the screen just stays blank and nothing happens.

Last edited: