2019 Towing Sanity Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacopants

Reaction score
Hey everyone! We're looking at purchasing a used Expedition in the near future. We're focusing on 2018-2021 used between 50k-80k miles, as they're within our price range.

I'm looking at a 2019 Max Limited 4x4 with HD tow package. The dealer's notes say that it has a 3.31 axle ratio (I have a message out to them and I'm waiting on confirmation). If that ends up being accurate, am I understanding this chart correctly that, because of a 3.31 axle ratio, we're capped at 6000lb towing, even with the HD package?
1687892333543.png

Hopefully I'm just interpreting this incorrectly. Thanks for any insight!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heavy duty tow gets 3.73. If you see a brake controller to the right of the wheel, it has HD Tow, unless the controller was added later. You can also get a photo of the trailer connector and confirm it's the round one with seven pins. Can't rely on dealership representations. They usually know very little. Last one I went to didn't know Lincoln and Ford were the same manufacturer.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can get a picture of the sticker in the driver's door jamb, you can verify the actual gear ratio.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2014 (3rd Gen) with HD tow has the 3.73. BTW, we bought it from Enterprise Car Sales. They went out of their way to fix/replace everything that 30K miles of rental use had on it. Got 77K on it now. My dream SUV!