2020 Expedition- horrible steering!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3bs

Reaction score
I agree about the steering ratio. I’m getting used to it, but in parking situations it does seem like you have to really crank the wheel to make tight turns.

My old Armada felt like a sports car in comparison.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CCD equipped limited have the 22’s. Ours has it. You can’t adjust the suspension separate to the Modes. Econ gives you the softest, Normal is the Middle, Sport stiffens all 4 corners. Tow stiffens the rear and leaves the front normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correct!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never felt like the expy steering was bad, but its adjustable. I agree, normal mode is pretty numb and heavy, eco mode its sludgy a bit, but sport modes a whole different animal. The sport set up is damn near perfect; it quickens up and adds just a sprinkle of feel. In sport mode, it was the better than my wifes cx5 and those are lauded for their sporty edge.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t mind the slow steering since it makes for a relaxing highway drive.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it does well and my garage is a side loader with a hard 90 to make. I have to jack it in a couple times both in and out due to the narrow drive against a neighbors place. It handles that well.

im 6’6.5”. I clear the sunroof in my limited. I have to watch that aspect when car shopping. Can be an issue. I hate sunroofs so much I would’ve rather there be none. The xlf still has the small one I think in front. I didn’t look at those since I wanted stuff you can’t get in them. So won’t help you much and you lose a lot of features to go that route.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree about the steering ratio. I’m getting used to it, but in parking situations it does seem like you have to really crank the wheel to make tight turns.

My old Armada felt like a sports car in comparison.

A quick steering can be very dangerous in such a heavy SUV. Especially if you over correct during emergencies.

I still can’t forget the recent Infinity crash in California. May their souls RIP.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally love the steering. It reminds me of the old hydraulic steering of the older years.

My wife have a 2017 Honda CR-V. Every time I drive it, I feel like the slightest movement of the steering wheel puts me in the next lane or I go too soon into a turn. Basically, I hate it and dread every time I need to use it.

Just my opinion, but was so glad it was not like my wife’s. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
We just picked up a 2019 Limited (but halogen headlights, that's another topic) and I feel like the steering is much better than our 2014 Limited EL was. Also I definitely like the wheel itself better on the 19.

I agree with your assessment of the older models. Steering was loose or the ratios sucked and made the car feel ever bit as big as it actually is

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel your pain. It's so aggravating how little seats adjust for tall people. Germans have always been good about that. I used to have an Excursion and even in that my head would hit the rear HVAC controls... I will say you will most likely not be able to ride in the back seats without them reclined. When reclining the 2nd row the base lowers at the same time.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A quick steering can be very dangerous in such a heavy SUV. Especially if you over correct during emergencies.

I still can’t forget the recent Infinity crash in California. May their souls RIP.

Damn. Speed kills.