2020 Expedition- horrible steering!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrangler6061

Reaction score
So... 10 seconds of background.. I'm a repeat and faithful Expedition customer .. Special ordered a 1997 Eddie Bauer model from the factory.. Have been driving a used 2007 model since 2011..

Finally had a chance to spend a full weekend with a heavily loaded 2020 Expedition 2WD XLT model (rental car with 200 miles on it - so brand new). I won't give a full review here - but will focus on just one item.. STEERING! One complaint I have with my 2007 is the "slow" steering (almost 4 turns lock-to-lock). Surely I thought the new 2018+ models would fix that issue.. NOPE! Still almost 4 turns lock-to-lock. In my humble opinion, Ford should have done whatever they could to make a big vehicle like this NOT handle like a party barge. (Full disclosure.. I don't remember how "tight" the 1997 steering was or wasn't.. just too many years ago...)

I'm sorely disappointed.. anyone else share this concern? I was seriously considered getting a newer 2018+ model.. but.. this could be a deal-breaker..

I'm also guessing this is "just how it was designed" and not much can be done about it...

Thanks!

OP
OP
W

wrangler6061

Reaction score
@Deadman: I'm actually looking at a Limited... Is the steering truly any quicker on a Limited? (FYI.. I'm looking at a Limited without a sunroof as i'm tall..so the Platinum is off the table since a sunroof is standard)..

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Deadman: I'm actually looking at a Limited... Is the steering truly any quicker on a Limited? (FYI.. I'm looking at a Limited without a sunroof as i'm tall..so the Platinum is off the table since a sunroof is standard)..

How tall? Our 2020 Limited with the Pano Roof Expedition easily fits my 6-7 Father In Law in the front seat with plenty of room to spare. He actually made a comment about the RAS room. Sure he could raise the seat and make it closer, but that wouldn’t make any sense.

I think the steering is perfect for the vehicle size. This thing has an Amazing turning radius for its size. That additional turn means more distance lock to lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
W

wrangler6061

Reaction score
@Deadman.. only 6'4".. but.. "tall from the waist up".. the 2020 XLT I rented had a sunroof.. and.. sure.. I could lower the seat until my head didn't touch the roof.. but then I was sitting lower than I like.. Is this being picky? Maybe so.. Turning radius on my 2007 is great.. that isn't my complaint.. and was fine on the 2020 too.... I'm not a steering/suspension expert.. but.. I don't think more turns lock to lock is required for a tight turning radius.. I think it has something to do with design and gear ratios in the steering box.. but I don't know....Let's just say.. that in my wife's 2013 Lincoln MKX (think Ford Edge).. yes.. a smaller vehicle.. but.. less than 3 turns lock-to-lock.. and it feels "responsive".. Felt like I was "rowing" the Expedition last weekend to make turns.. As a reminder.. I'm very used to very large vehicles ;-)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Deadman.. only 6'4".. but.. "tall from the waist up".. the 2020 XLT I rented had a sunroof.. and.. sure.. I could lower the seat until my head didn't touch the roof.. but then I was sitting lower than I like.. Is this being picky? Maybe so.. Turning radius on my 2007 is great.. that isn't my complaint.. and was fine on the 2020 too.... I'm not a steering/suspension expert.. but.. I don't think more turns lock to lock is required for a tight turning radius.. I think it has something to do with design and gear ratios in the steering box.. but I don't know....Let's just say.. that in my wife's 2013 Lincoln MKX (think Ford Edge).. yes.. a smaller vehicle.. but.. less than 3 turns lock-to-lock.. and it feels "responsive".. Felt like I was "rowing" the Expedition last weekend to make turns.. As a reminder.. I'm very used to very large vehicles ;-)

Did the XLT have the Electric seat? I am also Tall in the torso, but only 6’1”. Just don’t think you should eliminate options based on the roof at your height. Go sit in a few limited’s with the pano roof.

More turning radius means greater steering angle, which means more motion lock to lock, all things created equal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Drive a CCD Limited, you can adjust all the suspension settings and such just like a Platinum, so the steering gets more responsive as the suspension stiffens and softens in the different drive modes.

OP
OP
W

wrangler6061

Reaction score
@LokiWolf: The XLT did have the x-way (lots of buttons!) power seat.. This XLT was fairly loaded as it had the sunroof (not sure if it was the "pano roof"?) - leather.. lots of other options.. Part of why I drive large SUVs is because I like to sit up high... I'll go sit in a few Limiteds with the "pano roof" to see if it is any better. I think back to my old man.. who.. was 6'6"... but I STILL sat 2 inches higher in the seat than he did..

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf: The XLT did have the x-way (lots of buttons!) power seat.. This XLT was fairly loaded as it had the sunroof (not sure if it was the "pano roof"?) - leather.. lots of other options.. Part of why I drive large SUVs is because I like to sit up high... I'll go sit in a few Limiteds with the "pano roof" to see if it is any better. I think back to my old man.. who.. was 6'6"... but I STILL sat 2 inches higher in the seat than he did..

Yeah, 4th Gen only has one Sunroof option. The Panoramic roof. Good luck on finding the right options. We have been Very happy with our 4th Gen.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drive a CCD Limited, you can adjust all the suspension settings and such just like a Platinum, so the steering gets more responsive as the suspension stiffens and softens in the different drive modes.

CCD equipped limited have the 22’s. Ours has it. You can’t adjust the suspension separate to the Modes. Econ gives you the softest, Normal is the Middle, Sport stiffens all 4 corners. Tow stiffens the rear and leaves the front normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360