2020 Expedition up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each his own but 70k is still expensive. Especially when a fully loaded (and really not the same) but highly rated kia telluride is 42-50k, it is a lot. And the quality ford was known for over the last 3 to 10 years is what I was hoping for.

Guess I should put it this way, does a telluride have the same exterior size or interior volume, or can it tow the same, no. But that's a relatively small amount of the cost these days, the technology, software, systems are a huge part, and so much of that is the same. In fact, many of these companies use the same suppliers for all the peripherals, think Takata. But we still need build quality and low manufacturing tolerances.

Trust me, I invested a crap ton into this thing and continue to do so, I just don't want to lose more than I normally would...

Just saying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aspen03

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to defend Ford against raising more concern or investigation. A $70k vehicle is not expensive for newer cars these days - particularly for the size and included features in what you're getting. Hold your horses. Although unfortunate, this is the first and isolated incident in a 3 year run. Not including shared platform of the F150, the highest selling vehicle on the planet, Ford's production numbers are in your favor.

Also just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's giving to be perfect without risk...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...51/mclaren-senna-720s-570gt-fire-risk-recall/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ine-fires-including-ultra-rare-veneno-models/

And not just exotics. Mass GM recall recently:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nitalemonlaw.com/gm-recall-millions-brake-fire-concerns/amp/

The first? Do we know this? When a manufacturer is indifferent about it all and shrugging the situation off I doubt we ever get to the point of resolution exhibited in the examples above. Would it require more data than this 1 incident? Of course, but you have have to start somewhere.

Exotics are almost prone to issues due to experimental designs that push the envelope of what we can currently do with a vehicle. A mainstream family hauler is another ballgame.

No one is expecting perfection, by human nature its all but impossible. Accountability and change are however.

I'm not saying recall every 2020 made and leave no stone unturned they just literally don't care about the how or why. Its oh, wow, sorry to hear. Better luck next time. Its disrespectful to current and future owners imo. I would consider purchasing one an achievement. I have to say I would second guess a purchase knowing that if a serious issue were to arise it would be completely ignored.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford likely can’t touch it without lawyers from the insurance company present. If Ford touches it they likely have to pay the claim no matter who is at fault. Right now, it is the insurance company that is assumed to have ownership. The response from Ford is probably due to the litigious tendencies of our society.

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
The first? Do we know this? When a manufacturer is indifferent about it all and shrugging the situation off I doubt we ever get to the point of resolution exhibited in the examples above. Would it require more data than this 1 incident? Of course, but you have have to start somewhere.

Exotics are almost prone to issues due to experimental designs that push the envelope of what we can currently do with a vehicle. A mainstream family hauler is another ballgame.

No one is expecting perfection, by human nature its all but impossible. Accountability and change are however.

I'm not saying recall every 2020 made and leave no stone unturned they just literally don't care about the how or why. Its oh, wow, sorry to hear. Better luck next time. Its disrespectful to current and future owners imo. I would consider purchasing one an achievement. I have to say I would second guess a purchase knowing that if a serious issue were to arise it would be completely ignored.
Agree the manufacturer should do it's best to ensure safety, satisfaction and longevity of it's clients. I completely empathize with them that would be a traumatic event but my point was more so to say against this being a systematic failure. Based on this I would say it's not impossible but to early to jump to conclusions on one incident - particularly considering how quickly word travels now.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man...that aluminum body just disintegrates at temperature.

Glad no one got hurt.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn, that's unfortunate. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I've got one little one still in a car seat, the next two youngest are in booster seats. I can get 'em all out in under a minute, though. It's like any other muscle memory function. I also have my kids all sit in the same seat every time, every trip. Not just for that, but for security, and such. As in....who is capable to use a firearm, should SHTF...etc.

John I

Reaction score
Not sure how incidents such as this come to the attention of the NHTSA, but I hope the vehicle owner or insurance company ensure that a report is filed.

Mlarv

Reaction score
If it was an electrical issue, maybe rodents chewed though a wire harness and when it got warm under the hood the wires shorted out? So many questions before I blame anyone. They have been know to chew rubber hoses as well.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is not a “Ford should do something issue”. It is an insurance issue. Many insurance companies offer full replacement coverage for new vehicles (for a certain number of years from purchase).

There are many posts on this forum where members modify the engines on their Ford Expedition model (sometimes under warranty) with “tunes”, and “catch cans” and other engine items.

Does anyone know if this engine or vehicle had been modified? Speculating is a waste of time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65