2020 Expedition up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was an electrical issue, maybe rodents chewed though a wire harness and when it got warm under the hood the wires shorted out? So many questions before I blame anyone. They have been know to chew rubber hoses as well.
Exactly. Again, this is tragic and unfortunate. A rare occurrence that causes a catastrophic fire can happen to a brand new car or an old one. It just doesn’t fall under “warranty claim” territory unfortunately.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to promote a conspiracy theory, and I don't know what all or how data is transmitted from the vehicle through the Ford Pass Ap. If it can be transmitted to your phone, it goes through some network so there might be a way that some or all of the final information could have been archived. If Ford serves as the intermediary; they likely wouldn't pass up an opportunity to retain this data under the "guise" of R&D/Product Improvement...or warranty denial.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Again, this is tragic and unfortunate. A rare occurrence that causes a catastrophic fire can happen to a brand new car or an old one. It just doesn’t fall under “warranty claim” territory unfortunately.

I agree.

With total and catastrophic destruction of the vehicle - there is no way to determine if a part failed, causing the fire and destruction.

There are too many possibilities; animal damage, road damage (causing a fluid leak and fire), modification of the engine or other components, intentional damage by an owner or a nefarious person, etc.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To each his own but 70k is still expensive. Especially when a fully loaded (and really not the same) but highly rated kia telluride is 42-50k, it is a lot. And the quality ford was known for over the last 3 to 10 years is what I was hoping for.

Guess I should put it this way, does a telluride have the same exterior size or interior volume, or can it tow the same, no. But that's a relatively small amount of the cost these days, the technology, software, systems are a huge part, and so much of that is the same. In fact, many of these companies use the same suppliers for all the peripherals, think Takata. But we still need build quality and low manufacturing tolerances.

Trust me, I invested a crap ton into this thing and continue to do so, I just don't want to lose more than I normally would...

Just saying.

A Telluride is more inline with a Explorer, which is around $56k for a Platinum.

Large SUV that would be less cost would be an Armada. I looked at a fully loaded one and they were will to sell it for around $55. I just thought it was old tech and did not fit all my needs, especially towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said, I get it wasn't apples to apples, the point was merely to highlight how so much of these vehicles share the same underlying tech. It's how it's all put together that often matters most. But speaking of others, anyone see the re-recall for Hyundai Tucson's? A faulty solder effectively in one of the onboard computers is causing multiple engine fires. The company is telling folks to park them outdoors until they get the recall done. Oddly, instead of fixing the computer, they are simply putting in a fuse that will blow faster/fast enough to prevent a fire should the solder corrode enough to arc... Seems like a pretty crappy fix.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hire a lawyer and a investigator, The UAW worker probally messed up something.

Their far from perfect, hence the 7000 f-150 trucks waiting to get re-looked before they can be sold.

It is not your faut.

I wonder if the wires shorted out going across the frame for the battery.

At least you stopped the sunroof from rattling. Lol

Last edited:

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am very glad that everyone is OK.

I’ve seen several car fires on highways over the past years. Many of them are newer cars.

I keep a fire extinguisher in our road trip car.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep a fire extinguisher in our road trip car.

Take it from someone who had a Thunderbird catch fire while I was in it....a fire extinguisher in EVERY car is not just a good idea...it's a damned great one. Even if it isn't enough to keep the car from becoming a total loss, it could save a life. In my case it kept my 'Bird from being completely wasted.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it from someone who had a Thunderbird catch fire while I was in it....a fire extinguisher in EVERY car is not just a good idea...it's a damned great one. Even if it isn't enough to keep the car from becoming a total loss, it could save a life. In my case it kept my 'Bird from being completely wasted.

Can’t agree more!

In fact, some countries make it mandatory to have a fire extinguisher in the car. It gets checked every year with the annual inspection.