2020 Expedition up in flames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll leave it at that, but why not? Of course one is lower cost, but this day in age people equate everything to being disposable. Why not buy a new $1K cell phone every year. I personally don't agree with that, but I'm just saying that my personally, if my brand new car, with 2K miles on it, burst into flames through no fault of my own, you'd have to pay me to get another one, meaning on top of the cost of the new vehicle. Especially with my kids in the back seat. Using a dishwasher as an example wasn't meant to be apples to apples, was just meant to show that as a consumer, it behooves you to listen to your learned senses, one of which could be trust.

I'll get off my soap box. I go back to the meat of this post, to the OP, I'm truly thankful everyone inside is okay, and I'm sorry for the troubles you experienced. I hope you're treated fairly throughout the process moving forward.

id say they are different because dishwashers malfunctioning after a year is common and can be reasonably assumed to be a low quality design or part failure. Vehicle fire could be a defect or it could be a catastrophic event that’s not repeatable or predictable.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your vehicle burns, you get a new car. If it's a new(er) one and you have good insurance, it should cover the total loss.

But not everyone has homeowners insurance.

It's a hell of a lot easier to find a new car than it is a home, is just my point.

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
Yes. Thank goodness you were all ok.

Back when they were still testing the soon to be released aluminum bodied F-150’s, we were on the freeway headed down to San Diego when we saw a similarly engulfed F-150. Flames going up15-20 feet - must have spread quickly

I expect Ford is fully aware of the flammability of these vehicles. But, it all goes to risk/frequency and what are the likely triggers for the vehicle to catch like this. Certainly not as high risk or frequency as pinto gas tank explosions. But, ford informing customers about the frequency or infrequency would go a long way to improve customer relations.

You hear usFord?

An old school friend of my wife and her family were driving back from FL on vacation when cruising on the interstate. The entire thing went up in flames and there's nothing left but an almost completely melted body and the wheels.

It started out as all of the warning lights came on and they immediately pulled over, within a few seconds realized there was a fire in the engine bay and got everyone and everything they could out. Within approx 5min the entire thing was engulfed in flames on the shoulder.

Everyone was fortunately able to get out unharmed. Ford has been dismally unsupportive however, they got nothing but a shoulder shrug from Ford and said file a claim on your insurance and good luck. It only had 2200mi on it and was purchased brand new...

View attachment 39672
View attachment 39673

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Thank goodness you were all ok.

Back when they were still testing the soon to be released aluminum bodied F-150’s, we were on the freeway headed down to San Diego when we saw a similarly engulfed F-150. Flames going up15-20 feet - must have spread quickly

I expect Ford is fully aware of the flammability of these vehicles. But, it all goes to risk/frequency and what are the likely triggers for the vehicle to catch like this. Certainly not as high risk or frequency as pinto gas tank explosions. But, ford informing customers about the frequency or infrequency would go a long way to improve customer relations.

You hear usFord?
So Ford should put out an ad campaign that states, "Well although we don't have proof of what did, or what may cause this, but your vehicle has a 0.000001% chance of randomly catching fire while driving" ? How exactly is that going to ease a customers mind. Once again I'm just happy that everyone is okay and the only thing lost is an insured object that holds no true necessary value to the wellbeing of the family (as in not their home).

To think that Ford should do anything at this point is ludicrous. You live in the US of A, where suing is an art form. They would open themselves up to so much just for acknowledging they MAY have something to do with it. Let the insurance investigation do its thing, go from there. Obviously I hope it is some freak incident since I drive the same vehicle!

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys remember the 80's Fords that would catch fire due the ignition switch failing? LOL

Cars burn. Not just Ford. The aluminum body melts due to the heat. You can melt beer cans in a camp fire if you have good wood. Well, it melts or burns or something...never really cared enough to look after the fire is cold to see if there's chunks of molten aluminum.

Either way, aluminum bodied or not...a car fire of that scale is always going to be a total loss.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
id say they are different because dishwashers malfunctioning after a year is common and can be reasonably assumed to be a low quality design or part failure. Vehicle fire could be a defect or it could be a catastrophic event that’s not repeatable or predictable.

On that note, not sure how old you are or anything about you personally, but I remember when a $400 dishwasher would last ten years, now a $1k dishwasher may last 1-2, sometimes more, but it's becoming increasingly harder to get parts and skilled techs to fix them, so it's almost like you have to get a new one every few years. Good example, one of my good friends (an attorney), just had an LG dishwasher die after 2 yrs. Cost $1k and LG told him they couldn't repair it under warranty because they didn't have a licensed tech within 200 miles of him... Offered him no recourse, he thought about suing as he is an attorney, but the cost and time would have been more than a new dishwasher, and he would never trust it again. So he made sure not to buy an LG again.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On that note, not sure how old you are or anything about you personally, but I remember when a $400 dishwasher would last ten years, now a $1k dishwasher may last 1-2, sometimes more, but it's becoming increasingly harder to get parts and skilled techs to fix them, so it's almost like you have to get a new one every few years. Good example, one of my good friends (an attorney), just had an LG dishwasher die after 2 yrs. Cost $1k and LG told him they couldn't repair it under warranty because they didn't have a licensed tech within 200 miles of him... Offered him no recourse, he thought about suing as he is an attorney, but the cost and time would have been more than a new dishwasher, and he would never trust it again. So he made sure not to buy an LG again.
This is not just heresy or a friend of a friend's brother in law. We all have experienced this to some extent. Dishwasher, Washer/Dryers, Ovens and Fridges to name a few. It just appears to me that these items and others are all engineered to wear faster and fail earlier than the same items that were produced 15 or 20 years ago. For all intents and purposes, they are "disposable"....yes a $2,000 Fridge is disposable these days.

EWOregon

Reaction score
Here is where the Insurance Company, who will be "out of pocket" for this...will be the ones to either look for the proximate cause or just pay out. Once the vehicle is in your hands, i.e. you drive it off the lot, they have zero control over what you may or may not do to your vehicle... It's a no win situation. Lean on the insurance to be "Made Whole" again and leave the justice to someone else.

Herby

Reaction score
Glad your family is ok from this ordeal. Most likely this is a result from a fuel leak. As another person commented earlier, these engines operate at extremely high fuel pressures and the tiniest of leaks is a more than warranted concern. I would keep the pressure up on the insurance company and Ford. Make sure you share with the media. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks as though aluminium bodies don't hold up well to heat at all. I will stick with naturally aspirated for now.