2020 is going to be interesting at Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, we got to find you the end of paragraph/story button on your phone. I get all into the story, but it goes on for so long, I start dozing off. Ha Ha. I think the 2 best mileage cars I ever owned was my 56 VW bug, that got an average of 35 city/highway, and my 72 Chevy Luv pickup. It also got around 30. Problem with both, especially the anemic 36 hp bug, is you had to rev the crud out of it just to climb any grades. I live and drive near San Francisco, so hills are everywhere. My first motorcycles under 175 cc got over 40 mpg. These days my expy gets a whopping 10.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I know. I actually stop when I'm using my phone because I use speech to text, and at the end of the sentence I will stop and hit the return key and start a new paragraph bug it edits it out.

I just did it. The other forums don't do this.
Just did another but I think it only let the first one go.

Now I don't get it. I'm going to have to start maybe leaving to returns and maybe that will work.

Like this

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, we got to find you the end of paragraph/story button on your phone. I get all into the story, but it goes on for so long, I start dozing off. Ha Ha. I think the 2 best mileage cars I ever owned was my 56 VW bug, that got an average of 35 city/highway, and my 72 Chevy Luv pickup. It also got around 30. Problem with both, especially the anemic 36 hp bug, is you had to rev the crud out of it just to climb any grades. I live and drive near San Francisco, so hills are everywhere. My first motorcycles under 175 cc got over 40 mpg. These days my expy gets a whopping 10.

My wife says it's even worse in person. I have joked for years and if I could tie someone to a chair I could talk them to death. I currently talk to people until their ears bleed.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, your probably like me, you come from a large family. Me, I have 8 sisters and brothers. In my family, if you didn't speak up, you didn't eat. Carried over 60 years later. My ratchets aren't the only thing, my jaw seems to do the same!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, your probably like me, you come from a large family. Me, I have 8 sisters and brothers. In my family, if you didn't speak up, you didn't eat. Carried over 60 years later. My ratchets aren't the only thing, my jaw seems to do the same!

Ha ha. Nope! I'm an only child!!
What the hell is wrong with me???
I talk to myself if no one's around. I make up words and phrases, names, songs.
You know the Menards song? Don't know if they are in your area or not, but I added second line to that one and go around singing it everytime. I should write jingles.
"Menards has got my big ol money savings"!

I do The People's Court..... Da dum dum... Da dum dum dum... Da dum dum

All da dum time. It's ridiculous.

I know I have a problem... BUT....
I ramble so kick on Facebook that I think all but 3 "friends" have hid everything I post so they don't get annoyed at the length. When I post something only like 3 people like or comment. So about all of my interaction occurs from commenting on other's posts and the arguments that unsue from that... You know from stupid people who think they know everything that don't agree with me. Lol
I have so much fun. I boo. Abu. Like the monkey. Aladin. I smell fish!!
Tallyho mm Rumplestilskin, and Hakuna Matata.
Btw Long John Silvers has all you can eat fish on chicken on Sundays for like 7.99 or 8.99 sides too l. Unlimited.
"Your location participation may vary"

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once a pure battery electric can power one of these trucks and go 1000 miles between charges, it’ll be completely over for most gas engines. It’s coming, sooner than most think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flexpy19

Reaction score
Totally agree Gator, right now the Tesla goes about 300 and it takes about 30 minutes on a super charger to get back to 80% (the last 20% of the charge takes a long time) and it really isn’t much longer than a bathroom pit stop for the family, but I think if they can even get to 500 miles which is probably a 7-8 hour trip then it’s over for gas. They are working on the semi-truck and pickup variants now, so I would give it 1-2 more years. What I don’t get is every other manufacturer is saying how they plan on going electric yet just continue plowing away with traditional motors. There is always going to be a market for gas engines, just like some people don’t like to use email or smart phones. But Tesla doesn’t make a full size SUV and I doubt GM or Ford will figure it out in the next 3-5 years so it’s either the Expy/Nav or GM trio. Luckily I really like the Expy so I probably won’t mind a few more years of gas motoring! In addition to the instant torque/acceleration that can blow off any vehicle short of a supercar, the other thing I will miss is the autonomous driving aids. I think Ford is bringing out their copilot 360 next year and GM has suoercriise which is really good but inexplicably not used on their current lineup.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still lots to be done to convert all to electric. Charging takes too long, range isn’t there, Tesla has massive quality control problems with their vehicles (rust, leaks, electrical) and a lot of owners are fed up. They are new to the game and not very good at it for the price they charge. Then you have the harmful effects of lithium mining and battery disposal. Then you have the electric infrastructure, a lot more load with everyone plugging in every night. Also, I’m sure all the utility companies will lobby to raise all our rates like crazy when we all are reliant on the electric for our transport. Might not be any cheaper then gasoline for us, They could own us.

The cars are also very expensive because of lack of economy of scale, but that can change.

The days coming electric is dominant......or some other form. But there are many glaring issues with the system and hurdles to clear. We still have a lot of fossil fuel.

Everything is a trade off, you have to pollute to produce anything or make power. We can’t power everything via solar or wind, we don’t have the land available.....nuclear is clean, but dangerous if a natural disaster occurs.....otherwise your burning fuels or coal to make power. There is no perfect system.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Manufacturers are slow rolling the transition to electric because the batteries are still expensive, and they have to purchase them from third party suppliers like LG Chem and SK Innovation, so there's no cost benefit. Add the transition to the taller SUV form and you get substantially reduced range for a pure EV and there's just not much incentive to change. Also, the batteries have to provide sufficient range to accommodate cold weather and climate control use in much of the country. EV range drops by 30% when temps get under 35 degrees, so if the owner is even thinking about driving someplace cold, they'll need extra capacity for the cold season. This isn't as much of an issue with newer EVs, because they have plenty of range for city and short trip driving. But in older vehicles like the Leaf, that hit could mean not making it to your destination without charging, especially when you account for battery degradation. That is becoming less of a problem as batteries get larger and degradation is reduced by active temperature management.

GM announced its factory closures to to seek cost savings and fund investment in EVs. The vehicles require much less labor inputs because of reduced complexity. The flip side is that manufacturers have to get the price down. The best way to do that is by scaling up production, which is very capital intensive.

What many people don't realize is that most of the benefits of an EV can be had by purchasing a PHEV with good range. For example, the (discontinued) Volt has 50+ miles of pure EV range. That's at the high end, but there are several models with 25+ miles of pure electric range. BMW and Mercedes are also bringing out models with 50+ miles of EV range in the 2019 - 2020 timeframe. For many people, this would mean the vast majority of miles can be covered in electric mode while still retaining a gas engine for longer distance driving. Yeah, it's more redundancy, but how long does an ICE engine last when it's barely used? I guess we're about to find out. Even with regular use, most modern engines can go 150K+ without major issues, so I would expect an engine with infrequent use can do at least that much. With the available tax credits, the PHEV price premium frequently pays for itself. Tax credits cover the price increase, and gas savings increase the return on investment. When the price premium for these vehicles shrinks, they will be purchased in much higher quantities.

I would love to see a next gen PHEV Expedition w/ 3.5 turbo and 40+ miles of EV range with an alternate atkinson cycle cam profile. The range would provide substantial fuel savings while tooling around town (my Expedition replaced my minivan and see frequent short trips around town). Atkinson cycle would improve highway fuel economy and keeping the 3.5 with a regular cam profile would retain towing capability. The new Lincoln Nautilus PHEV has 450HP and 600 ft-lb w/ the 3.0l turbo, but no electric range or fuel economy numbers have been provided yet.

I for one for an dying to purchase an EV, because I'm sick of accessories breaking down. An EV means no more power steering, alternator, or radiator issues, and don't even get me started on emissions components. My cars are too old to have electric accessories and I like to drive them to 200K miles. I still get mad when they start needed maintenance at that mileage, LOL. Only thing holding up my EV purchase is that the used ones have very limited range, usually under 90 miles, the newer longer range models like the Bolt, Ioniq, and Kona haven't taken a depreciation hit. Since the vehicle will be primarily used for my daily commute, I'm considering just purchasing a used Leaf for 10K and ditching it in 3 years. The only thing giving me pause is whether it will handle my round-trip, 54 mile commute for the length of time I expect to have it.