2020 Limited: Ghost wrench light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was driving home from picking up my child from daycare (5 minute drive, top speed 30 mph, a few stop signs) when the orange wrench indicator came on. The manual states the following:

"Illuminates when the powertrain or the four-wheel drive system has detected a condition that requires service. Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible."

I got home fine and noticed no difference in driving characteristics. I then turned the vehicle off and back on to see if the error reappeared (I've had the "sys fault" error on the highway before when the transmission was shifting come and go with no issues.) The error light was gone, so I took the car for a spin on the highway and access roads. I floored it from slow speeds and floored it while already cruising and no errors, issues, or anything out of the ordinary.

Is this something I should be concerned about considering the light doesn't come on anymore? Will Ford even look at it if there's no error being thrown anymore?

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though the light goes out, a Trouble Code may still have been saved. Perhaps get the codes read, free at most auto parts stores.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Definitely a Power Train Fault indicator. Following is unashamedly plagiarized...

Can you drive with a powertrain malfunction light?​

A powertrain malfunction light should be taken seriously, as allowing a serious issue to persist can lead to costly repairs to your engine, transmission, or drivetrain in the long run. You should consider having the car towed straight to an authorized dealer rather than driving if you notice any changes in your vehicle’s performance like engine shaking or reduced power. In cases where you are towing a heavy load and/or driving up a steep grade, a powertrain malfunction light may be telling you to ease off to avoid overheating. If the problem resolves itself the warning may go away.

It’s possible that your vehicle might enter Fail-Safe Mode shortly after the powertrain malfunction light illuminates. Fail-Safe Mode automatically limits engine power so that you can safely maneuver your vehicle off the road without causing any further damage to your vehicle’s components. If this happens, you should only continue to drive as long as necessary to bring your vehicle to rest in a safe location and seek immediate repairs.
(Emphasis added.)

-- Chuck

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would a obd2 scanner tool also show stored codes? try that

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
an update- I ended up taking the vehicle on a family road trip during our Christmas break with zero incidents or inklings of incidents.

As with the sys fault error, it seemed to exist only in a discrete instance with nothing long term I am aware of. Thanks again everyone for your input, I hope my experience helps someone else.