2021 limited Rear cabin heat/air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teufelhunden84

Reaction score
Good morning! First post but I couldn’t find this question addressed. Just purchased a 2021 limited. We have 2 kids aged 4 and 2 who occasionally complain about being cold in the second row. We felt lukewarm or cool air in the overhead vents. Spoke with Ford while scheduling a recall and they said they would look at it but it’s normal for heat to only come out of lower vents and ac to come out of overhead vents. Is this accurate? I’ve just never heard this before with any other vehicle. Thanks for any help!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning! First post but I couldn’t find this question addressed. Just purchased a 2021 limited. We have 2 kids aged 4 and 2 who occasionally complain about being cold in the second row. We felt lukewarm or cool air in the overhead vents. Spoke with Ford while scheduling a recall and they said they would look at it but it’s normal for heat to only come out of lower vents and ac to come out of overhead vents. Is this accurate? I’ve just never heard this before with any other vehicle. Thanks for any help!

I purchased a new 2015 Expedition Limited with the rear heat / AC.

It replaced a Dodge Durango 4x4 that had 2nd & 3rd row heat and AC. The Durango 2nd and 3rd row heat and AC could easily be set for any level (floor, bilevel, or upper vents).

The Expedition would only discharge heated air from the floor vents in the 2nd and 3rd row - and this was not explained in the vehicle owner’s manual.

I returned it to the dealer and was told the Expedition was designed to only discharge heat on the floor in the 2nd and 3rd rows. VERY stupid design.

Mine is a third generation - but it sounds like Ford continue this silly heat distribution system in the fourth generation model. Does your owner’s manual explain much on the HVAC settings?

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Simply not true. Our 2020 roof vents in the 2nd and 3rd rows push heat out, not just cool air. The rear climate controls too have a button to direct air to the top only, which in the case of heating, would include warm air.

What the tech is probably doing is poorly describing/understanding the phenomena that in cold climates, the air to the roof vents has to travel in a narrow channel between the headliner and the roof skin. When it's cold out, that roof cavity is going to be cold too, in turn cooling down the warm air passing through there in the channel on its way to the vents. However, after some time the cavity will be warmed up, and the air will pass through relatively unchanged. The tech probably just thinks it's always cold, and by design.

Are the vents still blowing cold after 20 minutes of heating?
Are you setting the rear climate controls or just the front?
What happens when you set the rear to Hi/Max and let it run for 20 minutes?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire