2021 Limted Cracking Tail light Assemblies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
Odd issue. I was handwashing my '21 Limted (17k miles) getting ready for a trip when I noticed that both of my tail lights have small cracks running horizontal to the ground. The driver side is the worst but the passenger side has some as well. They aren't shattered but the cracks are plentiful. Most are just a couple inches in length. It does not appear to be struck by something as the cracks are linear and too dispersed. Also, there is no damage, scratches, or scuffs to the liftgate or rear fenders at all. A few more have shown up since I first noticed them. I'll try to get pictures when I get home and post them. Anyway, I took it to the dealer to file a warranty claim. I'm waiting to hear back from Ford. Has anyone else had this issue? For the life of me, I can't think of anything that would have caused this superficially. I'm the only one who drives it.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went out and gave our four-year-old Limited a once-over and there are no cracks on either side. It spends the majority of the time in the garage, but in the summer months, just parking either hot car in the garage and closing the garage door will heat the garage to 120° or higher. The (metal) garage door faces due west, gets too hot to touch on summer afternoons, and the rear of the Expedition inside is just feet away; so I doubt anyone's is exposed to much more heat than ours. I do know that sunlight reflected off commercial building windows can be very intense and harmful to vehicles. Might that be a possibility?

kryichek

Reaction score
2021 Limited here with 18k miles. Checked out the lights. I’m not seeing any cracks.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 has a crack horizontal too. Its only the driver side, never been hit. Its like an internal crack.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my '19 had a few cracks in the passenger side taillight housing. Had it replaced under warranty, the crack was actually internal, on the reflector plastic. They tried to give the dealer crap, saying it must have been from impact, but it was literally internal. Crazy for something $1300 that weighs one pound. That's 4x the price of a pound of silver.

There was another guy on a different Ford forum recently that had some major electrical issues due to moisture getting into a taillight assembly.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 Expedition XLT experienced an issue with rear taillamp leaking into housing shorting out the tail lite blinker. I had automatic headlamps on during car wash. Bad idea. Used dielectric grease on replacement bulb. Very seldom ever use car wash here in Southern California. So it was a lesson learned. Removed all bulbs and took the precaution to use the grease to prevent this from happening again. BTW there was moisture inside the bezel upon removal of it. Just a fyi.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 left rear taillight has cracks. I do not think these are from any impact. I have Ford Extended Warranty with LED lighting option. Think the warranty might cover replacement?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 14

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 left rear taillight has cracks. I do not think these are from any impact. I have Ford Extended Warranty with LED lighting option. Think the warranty might cover replacement?
Gonna have to convince them that the cracks are not from outside impacts/damage. Good that you have the lighting option on your ESP.