2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbirdsong

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Expedition Limited. Has 750 miles on it, has only been in my driveway for a month. I opened the tailgate yesterday (in -30 degree wind chill) and the lift gate spoiler cracked in half, the brake light is hanging off above the rear windshield, and the roof panel punctured and has a hole in it right where it meets the spoiler. I heard the cracking and popping as the lift gate opened, but I never thought the damage would be as bad as it is. Has anyone had issues with body work cracking and breaking in the cold? Will the dealership cover this or am I going to have to go through insurance? Needless to say, I’m very disappointed in the quality here and can’t believe the cold could do that much damage to a brand new $80k car. Have owned many expeditions over the years in this climate, and have never had this issue.

markw1855

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Expedition Limited. Has 750 miles on it, has only been in my driveway for a month. I opened the tailgate yesterday (in -30 degree wind chill) and the lift gate spoiler cracked in half, the brake light is hanging off above the rear windshield, and the roof panel punctured and has a hole in it right where it meets the spoiler. I heard the cracking and popping as the lift gate opened, but I never thought the damage would be as bad as it is. Has anyone had issues with body work cracking and breaking in the cold? Will the dealership cover this or am I going to have to go through insurance? Needless to say, I’m very disappointed in the quality here and can’t believe the cold could do that much damage to a brand new $80k car. Have owned many expeditions over the years in this climate, and have never had this issue.
Post some pictures.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be under warranty.

ashishdhngr

Reaction score
Sam thing just happened to me. A combination of the extreme cold with the construction of the vehicle (my assumption) causes the spoiler to go over the top of the roof panel instead of rotating under it.
Seems like you should be under warranty and have this issue sorted out through Ford.
Do you have any picture you can post of the damage to your vehicle?

My issue

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

giudi1md

Reaction score
This is crazy. I had the exact thing happen to mine 2 days ago during the cold spell. Cracked plastic spoiler over the rear hatch and a puncture to the roof. We are taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I hope this is covered under warranty. Pics below.

Attachments

• 7C9BFEDA-050A-4976-9F4B-2DB72AE1B00E.jpeg
    7C9BFEDA-050A-4976-9F4B-2DB72AE1B00E.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 168

ExpyNole

Reaction score
This is crazy. I had the exact thing happen to mine 2 days ago during the cold spell. Cracked plastic spoiler over the rear hatch and a puncture to the roof. We are taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I hope this is covered under warranty. Pics below.

that for sure looks like it was caused by ice.

giudi1md

Reaction score
To say this is a disappointment is an understatement. I can’t believe snow and ice would cause this type of damage. Sticking doors, etc., sure; but cracking plastic and punctures to sheet metal? No way.

My expectation is all windows and doors operate properly in all weather conditions.

I’ll be sure to update the thread on how the dealership/ford handles the situation tomorrow.