2022 Expy Preview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
I've seen spy shots where it looks like the 22 Expedition will get a version of the Mustang Mach-E's huge screen and dash...which I'm ok with. Just because the Expedition is based on the F-150 platform doesn't mean that it has to share the interior with the truck. If I'm going to purchase a HUGE SUV I don't want it to look like the truck when I get behind the wheel. That being said, I can deal with having the same interior as the 21 F-150 because of the huge screen. Let's face it. We are, for all intents and purposes, in an infotainment screen war with every other car maker. Tesla started it off, Ram brought it to the full size trucks, GM updated theirs...somewhat. The Expedition could blow the competition out of the water if it had a screen like the Mach-E. I also think that it deserves a unique interior like the rest of the SUV line up.

As for the exterior, as long as it's not ugly, I'd be ok with it looking like the truck or an evolution of the current design.
PB I agree with the truck vs auto thoughts. The 2022 main display screen as shown in the previews is an eyesore. Mercedes did this with several of their C and E classes early on because to do otherwise would have meant serious dash redesign and ergonomics, which take time and $$. They've all but gotten away from that look, and all are "built in" of late. In fact, just about all modern autos are thankfully on the backside of the iPad-on-the-dash look of the 2015s.

So assuming Ford took a computer monitor in portrait mode, and molded the dash plastics around it. It sticks up every which way, is in your face, blocks your view especially if you're short. I'm hoping it won't wobble or rattle with poor/loose mounting mechanics. But someone mentioned Tesla:

Notice Te$la molded the dash around the monitor. And the monitor itself is curved to fit, which is quite possible nowadays with OLED and Micro/Mini-LED technology. Problem is, it'll take Ford another release cycle of 4 years to come up with a better solution. In the meantime, there's a huge monitor sticking up in the air that is easily broken if handled, and requires a hefty chipset to run it - which I hear Ford is not providing. Reports are it's large, cumbersome, and clunky slow. If they REALLY wanted to do it right, make a 12" built-in screen from left to right, all the way across the dash for a total width of 3-4 feet (whatever the width of the car is). And yes, you know who is doing that for 2022. Boeing for one on the 787s, but hey.

IMHO the Expedition deserves a better presentation for data than what I'm seeing for the 22's. Ford must wrestle between the Expe and the Navigator camps, so it appears both will suffer until Covid is sent packing. Just more fodder to support my comfort of owning a 2020. I can live with a moderately slow 8" screen until what may now be 2026.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
  • 09/03/2021 - 2021MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 09/30/2021 - 2021MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 12/23/2021 - 2021MY Job Last Date

• 10/13/2021 - 2022MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 11/18/2021 - 2022MY Scheduling Begins
  • 01/18/2022 - 2022MY Job #1 Date
Any idea how this lines up with the Navigator timeline? I have a dealer telling me the last day to order at 2021 is 8/31/2021. Does that seem right?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dates are the same for both vehicles. I havent seen any updates posted on the blue oval forum but I can ask for some. Most likely, the dealer maybe accounting for any delays in your order, or they just want you to order. Atleast now since we know what will be in the 2022, if you wanted a 21, there would be no need to wait on placing your order.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like the new Timberline model may have a slightly higher lift on it for off road. Also possible new ST model.

bobvance2005

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, lifted Expys just look wrong.
I think they look great lifted (with proportional tires). Gonna put the readylift 3/2 on my new 2021 when I pick it up soon. Cool that the 2022 Timberline is a bit lifted stock.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they look great lifted (with proportional tires). Gonna put the readylift 3/2 on my new 2021 when I pick it up soon. Cool that the 2022 Timberline is a bit lifted stock.
Each their own. Everytime I see one, it just looks weird. Reminds me of a giant torso with stilts for legs lol.