2022 Noisy Roof Rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time driving the 2022 Expy in the rain and normal rain sounds fine but any bigger kind of drops it sounds like rain on a tin shed.
Anyone experience this? I wonder if its the crossbars pinging loud or the fact that there is open area and limited insulation due to the moon roof.
My other cars are quiet even in heavier drops albeit they do not have the moon roof or roof racks.

Did anyone remove the roof rack "Crossbars" if they never use the rack?

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the dreaded Aluminum rain drop drone. Get caught in one of the Rocky Mountain rains storms, with the big honkin rain drops, at elevation; and it sounds completely different from a normal rain condition we get in Texas, albeit not enough of them this time of year. Cant wait to hear it in hail, although I fear the damage.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the dreaded Aluminum rain drop drone. Get caught in one of the Rocky Mountain rains storms, with the big honkin rain drops, at elevation; and it sounds completely different from a normal rain condition we get in Texas, albeit not enough of them this time of year. Cant wait to hear it in hail, although I fear the damage.
My guess right now is the roof rack cross bars causing the loud pings. Gonna remove them since I do not need them and see what happens. I guess if it is them then maybe some bed liner type coating may quiet them down.

GGecko311

Reaction score
Mom's 2021 Limited does this. We had heavy rain and it sounded like rain hitting thin sheet metal. We thought it was because of the big panoramic sunroof. I'm glad to learn that it isn't just her car.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So finally got rain here after a few months. I had removed my roof rack cross bars a while back but never got rain. Last night it rained while driving and I can say 100% the hollow cross bars for the roof rack were making the loud pinging noises. I am leaving them off since I do not need them but I guess you could spray them with bed liner or some rubber coating to help reduce the obnoxious pinging noise.