2022 screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pretty sure they aren’t beta-testing the velcro’d ipad in the expy for no reason - surely it’s going in there somehow some way.

which would lead me to reasonably believe that the expy will have it as an option somehow - my guess being the platinum trim. or maybe only the platinum hybrid. or maybe it’s my hopes that it’s only in the platinum trim as i won’t be affording that anytime soon anyway.

fine with me, cuz that upgraded SD screen is perfect IMO - a better version of our “small” screen that doesn’t change the design, leaves all the real buttons in the same place.... plus it seems to have the same nicely framed trim bar right under the screen, which i use ALL the time to rest my thumb, stabilize my arm & have a physical point of reference when trying to use the touch screen in motion. unfortunately for me still quite bobble-y motion until i get the sway bars this summer.

Robert Stucky

Reaction score
Our 2020 Expy is a crapload of software bugs glued together by a rolling chassis. A thought for Ford: Fix the bugs first.

Here's just a few:

Unhooking a trailer? Expy notices, but only un-sets the active trailer perhaps 1 in 5 tries.
Don't want start/stop feature? Set the settings to have it off, still have to push the dash button about 70% of the time.
You're towing, drive mode set to tow/haul. Buy some gas, start vehicle, still hooked up, you'll need to reset it to tow/haul.
Heated seats on low when you park and shut it off. Go out in the morning, 25 degrees outside, scrape the windshield, start car, seats on full cold.

The reason to put a computer into a car is to add some intelligence. The software should get the concept of "I'm a car that has the ability to sense so many things. How can I leverage what I can sense and what can I do to make my driver's life easier and safer?" Evidently Ford's marketing meetings were, "Our competition has computers, we need computers." Question from the back, "What do we use the computers for?" Answer: "Um, You know. Computery stuff".

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember, that velcro'd iPad has been in Tesla model D for a good decade, and they're selling like hot cakes.
*partial opinion alert*
Agreed, but it's not because of the screen. I have probably 10 friends with Tesla's, including one that has 3. Even he says you can usually put Tesla owners in three buckets. Those that want the fastest production car on the road under 200k, those that truly believe they are doing something green (the more you know about lithium ore and where it comes from, and the energy, you know this isn't true), and those that love Elon and think he's going to save the world. That and they used Apple's marketing playbook and tis worked for them. Don't get me wrong, they have brought together some sweet tech, but I also go back to the fact that up until the last 2-3 qtrs, they haven't turned a profit.

Ha ha, but talk about comfort. I remember when my buddy brought home his $110k model x P90D, sure the doors were cool, but they failed on the second day, and the seats were more uncomfortable then the seats in my quad, all for $110K. But damn it was fast...

BTW: this particular friend of mine falls into all 3 buckets.

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2020 Expy is a crapload of software bugs glued together by a rolling chassis. A thought for Ford: Fix the bugs first.

Here's just a few:

Unhooking a trailer? Expy notices, but only un-sets the active trailer perhaps 1 in 5 tries.
Don't want start/stop feature? Set the settings to have it off, still have to push the dash button about 70% of the time.
You're towing, drive mode set to tow/haul. Buy some gas, start vehicle, still hooked up, you'll need to reset it to tow/haul.
Heated seats on low when you park and shut it off. Go out in the morning, 25 degrees outside, scrape the windshield, start car, seats on full cold.

The reason to put a computer into a car is to add some intelligence. The software should get the concept of "I'm a car that has the ability to sense so many things. How can I leverage what I can sense and what can I do to make my driver's life easier and safer?" Evidently Ford's marketing meetings were, "Our competition has computers, we need computers." Question from the back, "What do we use the computers for?" Answer: "Um, You know. Computery stuff".
Well, some of these are not bugs....

That is standard in (as far as I know) all manufacturers. By defualting the AS/S to "on" they can hit their claimed MPG numbers on paper and it helps with their fleet-wide CAFE figures.

Also due to gas mileage numbers. As long as Ford sets the system to default to NORMAL, that helps them with their MPG numbers and the CAFE figures. You can change it, I believe, with Forscan.

That is a setting. You can either set the vehicle to Auto cliamte control on remote start in the gauge cluster (in which case it will do its thing based on the weather) or you can set it to remember whatever settings were previously on when you turned the vehicle off.

I'm not saying those things aren't annoying, but they're also not "bugs".

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember, that velcro'd iPad has been in Tesla model D for a good decade, and they're selling like hot cakes.

oh trust me i know....

a). just because it’s the newest thing & everyone is crazy over it this decade, or it makes people FEEL better, doesn’t always make it better, or safer, really. (ie; actual long term environmental impact of mass-usage of lithium, or more recently - 1st gen factory LED headlight fails). a clear screen for Nav / basic functions is obviously important. but there is not one rational argument against wanting buttons : knobs that don’t make me take my eyes off the road to do basic essential functions. ultimately everything else is meaningless to me as a driver who will only spend my money on a tool that suits my needs & comforts - including refusing a key feature that makes me feel less safe when using in poor driving situations & environments. massive touchscreen mid dash without eyes-free tactile surfaces to activate things, while traveling & moving, provides absolutely zero safety increases is just plain dumb even if the new idiocracy generation buys it like hotcakes. the best balance is incorporating the tech, designing it into the dash / sight line properly, & keeping crucial buttons / knobs also. there are manufacturers that are doing it right.

b) teslas is designed “better.” the velcro’d on atrocity we are seeing in the spy shots is clearly not, even if it is still in development, way too low out of the driver sight line. the entire dash design needs to be based around it IMO, otherwise an upgrade within the existing overall dash layout is the “safest” & best option (ie: the simple SD screen update we are seeing.)

Tesla can keep selling for their market that wants them. which isn’t me anyway - or anyone who actually drives any distance, until the range increases to road trip numbers. i’ll be happy with the timberline hybrid, without the ipad. i hope i can get it.

Grizguy

Reaction score
Phoenix Automotive a an attractive LARGE screen about to be released for the 18 and newer models. They have the same thing for f150 and rams and older expeditions

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Phoenix Automotive a an attractive LARGE screen about to be released for the 18 and newer models. They have the same thing for f150 and rams and older expeditions
interesting find, none of them look like they would fit these, but they do look pretty decent. Curious how well they work, especially when it comes to any integration with Sync3 and updates.

Mommas car

Reaction score
I had a BMW with I drive. I think that is the best system. It runs the radio, navigation, your phone all from a knob on the center console. Once you get the feel for it you only need to glance at the screen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryin2fickshit