2023 Electronic limited slip axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, we get that. But we really don’t know for sure what it really is. That is where the stamping on the pumpkin would confirm. We are all, myself included, pretty sure it is a 3.73 non locking differential. But no harm trying to confirm. Like I said in an earlier post, right now I’m just continuing my search for absolute confirmation just for fun.

Please stop telling us not to look at the stamping. I’ll look at it if I damn well please . I’m quite sure that is more reliable than the sticker that shows a code that does not exist in Fords tow guide except on an F250.
My point is that it doesn’t matter. The function does. If you have the Solenoid and the wiring, you have the ELSD. Sure, the stamping will give you the axle number, but again, yay, you have a number.

Looking for the wiring is far easier, and answers the ELSD or not question.

andyak

Reaction score
This was a fun thread to read :0

OK - so I have a NO HD tow package 2019 expy 4x4 Titanium 6000lb max tow

What can/should I upgrade in regards to gear ratios - 3.73 ( both front and rear?)
are there upgraded axles in the HD tow package?

From here: https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/guide-to-ford-truck-suv-axles/
looks like for NO heavy towing package:
(Ford 8.8-Inch Independent Front Suspension)
Specifications:
  • 8.8-Inch Ring Gear
  • 28 or 31-Spline Axles Using CV Joints
(Ford 8.8-Inch Independent Rear Suspension)
Specifications:
  • 8.8-Inch Rear Gear
  • 31-spline Axle Shafts Applications: 2003-2019 Expedition

For
heavy duty towing
(Ford 9.75-Inch IRS) Specifications:
  • 9.75-Inch Ring Gear
  • 34-Spline Shafts
Applications:
  • 2003-2019 Ford Expedition (Heavy Towing Package)
So it looks like the rear is upgraded to 9.75 IRS front stays 8.8 - but both would get 3.73 gears.

Is it worth it to upgrade rear to 9.75 (with 3.73) and get new axles etc. and then change front 8.8 to 3.73 - to gain the most tow capability?

Do I need a different radiator/fans (and how to wire them in) if pulling in mountains?

So far I have just ordered the parts to put in ford trailer brake controller. I would like to be able to tow a TT around 6000lb -7000lb

What do the experts here recommend ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited:

hale

Reaction score
So I have a 2023 timberline with that axel code and I do have the rear locker button directly under our shifter. mine is hd tow package as u have mentioned as well (break controller and all).

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3203.jpeg
    IMG_3203.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 5

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This was a fun thread to read :0

OK - so I have a NO HD tow package 2019 expy 4x4 Titanium 6000lb max tow

What can/should I upgrade in regards to gear ratios - 3.73 ( both front and rear?)
are there upgraded axles in the HD tow package?

From here: https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/guide-to-ford-truck-suv-axles/
looks like for NO heavy towing package:
(Ford 8.8-Inch Independent Front Suspension)
Specifications:
  • 8.8-Inch Ring Gear
  • 28 or 31-Spline Axles Using CV Joints
(Ford 8.8-Inch Independent Rear Suspension)
Specifications:
  • 8.8-Inch Rear Gear
  • 31-spline Axle Shafts Applications: 2003-2019 Expedition

For
heavy duty towing
(Ford 9.75-Inch IRS) Specifications:
  • 9.75-Inch Ring Gear
  • 34-Spline Shafts
Applications:
  • 2003-2019 Ford Expedition (Heavy Towing Package)
So it looks like the rear is upgraded to 9.75 IRS front stays 8.8 - but both would get 3.73 gears.

Is it worth it to upgrade rear to 9.75 (with 3.73) and get new axles etc. and then change front 8.8 to 3.73 - to gain the most tow capability?

Do I need a different radiator/fans (and how to wire them in) if pulling in mountains?

So far I have just ordered the parts to put in ford trailer brake controller. I would like to be able to tow a TT around 6000lb -7000lb

What do the experts here recommend ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
I am going to put this simply. NOT WORTH IT! Buy a 4th Gen with the Heavy Tow. It is easier. No matter what you upgrade, legally anything above 6000 will be illegal. I am always for airing on the side of capacity. Then you have Payload to consider. An XLT with heavy tow will be the best choice, because it will have the higher payload. Remember, Tongue weight should be factored in to Payload. It is not just about towing capacity.

Just realized this was from many months ago...oh well. Still good to be said.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I have a 2023 timberline with that axel code and I do have the rear locker button directly under our shifter. mine is hd tow package as u have mentioned as well (break controller and all).
Yes, ALL Timberlines have the ELSD with the simulated locker. They are designed for Off road, so that would be needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett