2023 Electronic limited slip axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have researched this as best as possible and have found no answer. I have a 2023 Platinum with the Heavy Duty Tow package. It shows on the door sticker that it has the “3L” axle. It took some research to confirm that stands for 3.73 Electronic Limitied slip (the 2023 Ford sight does not even show that as available).

So then I find that there is a button that allows you to toggle it on and off manually even though it also says it operates automatically. So I go to the online 2023 owners manual (there is no longer a printed full manual). Sure enough there is a chapter on the Electronic Limited Slip axle and it shows a button for manually turning it on and off. I have no such button. I have the full 15” screen eliminating almost all buttons - which I hate it. But the manual does not show if there is a place in the 15” screen to turn on/off the limited slip.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Last edited:

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know my 2019 has the actual physical button and that was one feature I specifically wanted given getting stuck with these big SUVs is almost always a x up situation. Yes its a get unstuck button.

Having said that!! I recall reading somewhere that Ford changed the system in 21 or 22 likely tied to the driving mode selection and traction management making it a full integrated deal vs a manually activated thing. I know that they had cases where the old center console button was hit by stuff set on the console and people burned up the rear diff not realizing the locker was on. That’s likely why the physical button isn’t there today but the driving mode likely uses it when wheel spin is detected in say mud and ruts mode etc.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only big advantage to the old button setup was you could turn it on at the boat ramp in 2wd if you needed a little more matched left right grip but 4x4 was over kill etc. The 4x4 modes are just as easy to select in reality no doubt they use logic that kicks on the locker when the 4x4 mode like mud and ruts is selected. Sport mode also likely uses it to some extent in a active way on off etc when needed etc.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have researched this as best as possible and have found no answer. I have a 2023 Platinum with the Heavy Duty Tow package. It shows on the door sticker that it has the “3L” axle. It took some research to confirm that stands for 3.73 Electronic Limitied slip (the 2023 Ford sight does not even show that as available).
The ELSD is an option outside of the heavy duty tow package for the 22 and 23. You have to order both packages regardless of trim (62E is the ELSD). For earlier model years the ELSD was included with the tow package (and some other packages) but Ford changed that. If it isn't listed on your Monroney sticker you don't have it. I have a hard button near the gear shifter and mode selection for ELSD "lock" on my 22 with the smaller screen.

OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. At some point in the next week or two I’ll talk to my salesman if I don’t find a more definitive answer. I was fortunate to stumble on to a salesman who is a really good guy and a gearhead like I am.

OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ELSD is an option outside of the heavy duty tow package for the 22 and 23. You have to order both packages regardless of trim. Earlier model years the ELSD was included with the tow package (and some other packages) but Ford changed that. If it isn't listed on your Monroney sticker you don't have it. I have a hard button near the gear shifter and mode selection for ELSD "lock" on my 22 with the smaller screen.
Thank you for your response

The point is that the sticker on my door says I have the “3L“ axle and everything I find says that is 3.73 Electronic Limited Slip.

Could you please look at yout door sticker and tell me what your code is?

OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is what is weird, the Ford data sheet does not even show a 3L. This is for a 2023 which is what I have….

IMG_4180.jpeg

IMG_1609.png

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for your response

The point is that the sticker on my door says I have the “3L“ axle and everything I find says that is 3.73 Electronic Limited Slip.

Could you please look at yout door sticker and tell me what your code is?
Mine is 3L as well. However if you read some more on this forum you will see that Ford uses that on both ELSD and non-ELSD from what I recall at least the newer model years. Here is the order guide showing they are separate options in 23:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806-082941.png
    Screenshot_20230806-082941.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
J

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is 3L as well. However if you read some more on this forum you will see that Ford uses that on both ELSD and non-ELSD from what I recall at least the newer model years. Here is the order guide showing they are separate options in 23:
Thank you for posting. For some reason I am not able to see the entire screen shot you posted, but you explained it well.

Here is a screenshot for model year 2019…
IMG_1295.png

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My post was just showing the ELSD and tow packages are separate, nothing related to the axle codes. I think it was 2020 when they separated the ELSD into its own package and the axle code confusion started.

You could crawl under the truck and see if you see a cable going into the differential used to control the electronic clutches then you would know for sure.