22 Expedition Loud and Vibrates.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow3v

Reaction score
Just curious, are you in 2h or 4a. There is def a little extra noise/vibration when in 4a. I can't say I notice anything like you mention but my daily is a lifted jeep on mud tires so the expedition drives like a dream.

This is a great question. You definitely get a small increase in NVH when in 4a as expected, 2x the running gear turning. Worth checking out for sure.

rmillis

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here and i have a 2022 Expedition that i bought when i sold my 2016 Expedition Platinum. I can tell you my 2016 was a better car. In 100,000 miles i had it to the shop only twice. It was an awesome vehicle. I have read the posts and answers about the vibration and loud exhaust issues. My 2022 does the same thing. Disappointed from day 1! I have changed tires (Michelin LTX MS) and I have changed wheels (factory came with the machine aluminum 12/18 spoke), had the front half shafts replaced, alignments. Its exhausting the way it drives. I am here to tell you nothing has worked. I still feel the vibration and i have just turned 27,000 miles. My thinking is is a drive shaft, maybe a transfer case, or exhaust vibrating against something? When i accelerate getting on the highway its smooth but soon as i settle in at 75, 76, or 78mph and set the cruise - I can feel it. I grabbed a 23' Platinum today form the dealer and its the same way. a little tighter because new but still has the slight vibration.
I might look for a low mileage 2018 or 19 Navigator. Not sure what to do.
I'm right there with you. Bought a 2023 brand new which I ordered in late 2022. The ride quality of this vehicle is flat out terrible. My kids are bouncing around like bobbleheads in the second row. The quality of these vehicles aren't what they used to be. My door trim is misaligned, my hood had a huge gap, my instrument panel has a noticeable large gap, my front middle speak cover was warped, even slight imperfection in the road shakes the car violently, etc. I'm done being loyal to Ford, and I'm going to take a big loss on this vehicle and switch to another brand. I hate to be negative but I'm not the only one dealing with these issues, and a new car shouldn't have this many issues!

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change drive modes?

Mine is choppy on these 22s with the Generals. But far from exhausting, no exhaust noise.

You seem miserable, no way to live. Dump it

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm right there with you. Bought a 2023 brand new which I ordered in late 2022. The ride quality of this vehicle is flat out terrible. My kids are bouncing around like bobbleheads in the second row. The quality of these vehicles aren't what they used to be. My door trim is misaligned, my hood had a huge gap, my instrument panel has a noticeable large gap, my front middle speak cover was warped, even slight imperfection in the road shakes the car violently, etc. I'm done being loyal to Ford, and I'm going to take a big loss on this vehicle and switch to another brand. I hate to be negative but I'm not the only one dealing with these issues, and a new car shouldn't have this many issues!
If you want to consider keeping it, I'll be the first to say I HATED the ride on my 2018 when it was brand new too. I swapped the front and rear sway bars to Hellwig, and OMG it was night and day difference. The bobblehead BS was gone, and all the side to side swaying and bobbing/diving around on rough roads was gone. It rides 10% stiffer, but lays flat on the road. I too almost traded it in right away. It was terrible. My wife literally said she was going to puke in it from all the side to side motion. It lays on the road like a sedan now in comparison.

MarkCobra

Reaction score
My 21' does bounce around a lot and the interior is so noisy with rattles etc.. The 2016 Tahoe we had drove better than the expedition and my lifted Ram drives even better. I guess you take the good with the bad. I swore I would never by another GM vehicle so that's why we ended up with Ford since we have a need for the larger SUVs still.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to consider keeping it, I'll be the first to say I HATED the ride on my 2018 when it was brand new too. I swapped the front and rear sway bars to Hellwig, and OMG it was night and day difference. The bobblehead BS was gone, and all the side to side swaying and bobbing/diving around on rough roads was gone. It rides 10% stiffer, but lays flat on the road. I too almost traded it in right away. It was terrible. My wife literally said she was going to puke in it from all the side to side motion. It lays on the road like a sedan now in comparison.
I concur with @Deadman, sucks buying something this expensive only to dump hundreds on aftermarket swaybars, and then deal with inevitable end link failures and popping, and swaybar mount replacements, etc. But it drives really well given the size, height, weight of this thing. Given that it's essentially an F150, I expected it to drive a little like a that. The noise, can't really compare to an F150 as you don't have a passenger compartment over the mufflers and outlet. It's an empty bed. I spent thousands, and tons and tons of trips to my favorite exhaust shop trying to correct the sound (of course I have extra mods that make it worse) and it's a no go. The exhaust shop hates working on these EB's.

Also, to help the ride a little, and this sort of seems a little counterintuitive, but I actually think mine got even a little better when I added the rear spring spacers. Its a little similar to shock absorption used in big rigs, and even HVAC systems. Even though you have a solid material like the spring to transfer vibration, adding the insulator can help reduce it a bit and I think it even helped the sway a little more than just the swaybar. I do believe that Ford really missed the boat on these, for the Platinums and for sure the Navi's, not having airbags vs. CCD. It is so much better, especially with the larger/heavier vehicles.

rmillis

Reaction score
Change drive modes?

Mine is choppy on these 22s with the Generals. But far from exhausting, no exhaust noise.

You seem miserable, no way to live. Dump it

I’ve tried different drive modes, and it didn’t help at all. I promise I’m not a negative “complain about everything” kind of person. I’ve just had it with this vehicle, and the dealers don’t seem to care. I was so excited to purchase this car, I have so much buyers remorse. I’m definitely miserable with it, especially the way my kids car seats rattle during my long work trips every time I hit a crack. I can’t even put a baby mirror on the headrests because it’s shakes so violently. I don’t necessarily need a full size SUV, might go with a midsize 3 row suv for a smoother ride.

rmillis

Reaction score

This is the last solution I’ll try. Did it remove the vibration in the second row seats? Does it help absorb road imperfections which cause the car to shake violently? I’m just hesitant to dump more money into this vehicle, but if what you say is true it could be a god send. I want to love this car…

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have similar experience. The vehicle used to sway in the rear even with a moderate wind on highway speed. I frequently felt the rear sway on my steering wheel, even when I didn't tow anything. After replacing the factory stock bar with Hellwig, the rear sway is gone. At least I do not feel it anymore on highway speed.

Last edited:

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve tried different drive modes, and it didn’t help at all. I promise I’m not a negative “complain about everything” kind of person. I’ve just had it with this vehicle, and the dealers don’t seem to care. I was so excited to purchase this car, I have so much buyers remorse. I’m definitely miserable with it, especially the way my kids car seats rattle during my long work trips every time I hit a crack. I can’t even put a baby mirror on the headrests because it’s shakes so violently. I don’t necessarily need a full size SUV, might go with a midsize 3 row suv for a smoother ride.

I would suggest you trying 18 inches wheels first. My vehicle comes with 20 inches wheels. I feel stiffness whenever the tire pressure rises above 42 psi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire