22 Expedition Loud and Vibrates.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooter455

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here and i have a 2022 Expedition that i bought when i sold my 2016 Expedition Platinum. I can tell you my 2016 was a better car. In 100,000 miles i had it to the shop only twice. It was an awesome vehicle. I have read the posts and answers about the vibration and loud exhaust issues. My 2022 does the same thing. Disappointed from day 1! I have changed tires (Michelin LTX MS) and I have changed wheels (factory came with the machine aluminum 12/18 spoke), had the front half shafts replaced, alignments. Its exhausting the way it drives. I am here to tell you nothing has worked. I still feel the vibration and i have just turned 27,000 miles. My thinking is is a drive shaft, maybe a transfer case, or exhaust vibrating against something? When i accelerate getting on the highway its smooth but soon as i settle in at 75, 76, or 78mph and set the cruise - I can feel it. I grabbed a 23' Platinum today form the dealer and its the same way. a little tighter because new but still has the slight vibration.
I might look for a low mileage 2018 or 19 Navigator. Not sure what to do.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All 4th gens have a slight vibration in it. However my 3rd gen nav also had some vibration, it's just the nature of the truck. If you want a pristine ride in your suv, you'll have to go wagoneer or armada route.

1775SS

Reaction score
I came from a 2015 expy and now drive a 22 timberline. I don't have any vibration at any speed. Possibly a u-joint. Sometimes, I think buying a vehicle, especially a new one, you get the luck of the draw.
Hello,
I'm new here and i have a 2022 Expedition that i bought when i sold my 2016 Expedition Platinum. I can tell you my 2016 was a better car. In 100,000 miles i had ........

And, is the loud exhaust you're hearing the piped in sound or the v6 actual sound? I've heard some members here complaining about the piped in v8 sound being too loud inside the cabin. I think it sounds good, IMO.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife had a 2018 Navigator Black Label and OMG that exhaust was ridiculously loud in the cabin. It droned like crazy. My 18 Expedition does drone a slight amount, but literally 10% of what that Navigator did. I don't miss that Navigator at all.

MarkCobra

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum as well. We just picked up a used 2021 Expedition Limited with 22s for my wife and we get that vibration as well and it also has a loud exhaust which I personally like but she thinks it's too loud. I have an 18' Ram 1500 with a Hemi and I think the Ford might be louder and I'm talking outside of vehicle. I'm currently barrowing my father in laws 2018 F-150 platinum with EcoBoost (cause a deer ran out and hit the front of my Ram) and that is nowhere near as loud as the Expy. My friend and neighbor down the street just got a used 2020 Nav and it's just as loud.

We also have the dreaded engine tap/ticking at cold startup for about 30-60 seconds and the vista sunroof noise, but I fixed that with some felt right in the middle of the plastic apron. Other than that, we like it. It was a 2-year lease return CPO with 21,000+ miles on it that we got right before Christmas. So, we have some original warranty left and the CPO powertrain warranty. I just hope it's a good car for us as her 2016 Tahoe LTZ was always in the shop.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The exhaust in my nav is only "loud" in the rear cabin, it's near silent in the front. Is it the exhaust you are referring to or the road noise? I will say the road and wind noise in the back of the cabin is excessively loud in both our expy and current nav, which is annoying, esp when it rains or on hard road surfaces like concrete.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, are you in 2h or 4a. There is def a little extra noise/vibration when in 4a. I can't say I notice anything like you mention but my daily is a lifted jeep on mud tires so the expedition drives like a dream.

1775SS

Reaction score
I think people are confusing road / wind noise, actual V6 engine noise and the V8 engine piped in through the speakers, noise.
The actual V6 engine noise is more like a drone.
I'm not sure what expy's / navigators come with the piped in V8 noise. I know the timberline does and it depends how hard you step on the excelerater to increase the sound. Sport mode increases the sound X10. Which is nice!