24 stealth edition too much juice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therick

Reaction score
I love my F-150. Its got the 5.0 V8. Sounds amazing, fun in sport mode on weekends. But I've got 4 kiddos now and my wife wont ride in the bed. :D The 24 expy will be primarily family hauler, woodworking weekend warrior with seats down. Is the stealth performance engine too much? We take a few drives from NJ to VA every summer. I drive conservatively w/the fam, want them to be comfortable. I like the understated styling of the blacked out styling. Not much of a chrome boy. Going to test drive soon but wanted to get some insight into your experiences. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

therick

Reaction score
Power. Basically don't want to sacrifice ride quality for the wife and kids so I can have fun driving it. We can all probably agree all these trucks are too expensive!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put it in eco mode, you'll be fine. Make sure you drive with and without ccd as well. Very mixed and varied opinions on ride comfort for both.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have both a '22 5.0 F150 (lowered, tuned etc) and a '22 SPP.

We also have 4 kids and the SPP is the vehicle my wife drives the most. My truck is my daily driver and much less comfortable than the SPP since it's lowered with a loud exhaust, but it scratches my itch. When we go on Family hauls, trips, or run arounds we all cannot fit in the 5.0 so I drive the SPP.

Few things noteworthy as we've had a '20 Expedition as well.

1) Buy a Max edition. With all three rows up, you'll need the additional trunk space. Plus, shorties look disproportionate IMO.
2) Buy a Max with the 2nd row captains chairs. Having the bench is cool if you must have an 8 seater, but it's too much a hassle for young kids to fold/tilt the seats and slide them.
3) Power difference between the SPP and Stealth Edition is not going to blow you away. You also need to run 91 octane in the SPP to get the advertised power numbers.

The H/O ecoboost in the SPP is a good power plant, but so is the regular ecoboost. Both have plenty of power available and it's not as if the SPP is some sort of untamable beast, it just has a touch more jam when you lay into it.

As said above, try the CCD version and non CCD.

Our first Expy was CCD and the SPP now is not. At first, I preferred CCD but now I like the base suspension. Could it be because I've just gotten use to it? Maybe. But anything feels like a Cadillac compared to a lowered, solid rear axle pick up truck I drive.

You can get the Stealth Package without the extra price tag of the SPP as well, if it's mostly the appearance package you like.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my F-150. Its got the 5.0 V8. Sounds amazing, fun in sport mode on weekends. But I've got 4 kiddos now and my wife wont ride in the bed. :D The 24 expy will be primarily family hauler, woodworking weekend warrior with seats down. Is the stealth performance engine too much? We take a few drives from NJ to VA every summer. I drive conservatively w/the fam, want them to be comfortable. I like the understated styling of the blacked out styling. Not much of a chrome boy. Going to test drive soon but wanted to get some insight into your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Not “too much” by any means.
But I will suggest the 22” wheels and sport whatever suspension is a joke for “comfort”. it’s not 3/4 ton terrible, but it’s not a crossover.
The CCD is a must for any wheels +20”. Personally I have the SPP without CCD and you feel all the bumps. The 304a pack in general is honestly an odd setup. It’s like it tries to be “sporty” but it’s not that athletic, but it’s not slow either, if that makes any sense.
the appearance pack is a much better value, especially if you're using it as a family hauler.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For clarity, you need to run 91+ in ANY EcoBoost to get rated power. Everything else said has been spot on.

Also would add, I would not get an Expedition without CCD unless it is a Timberline. The CCD helps when you factor the 22's into the equation.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are going to love the Expedition. We love ours, and it's in the shop right now and I have a 2024 F150 FX4 as a loaner and we want the Expy back. The stealth looks so much better, it's so nice having the third row, and picking up things like groceries is better when you aren't having to stuff it all in the second row.

I like the look and easier to live with shorter model that we have, but do sometimes wish I had the bigger fuel tank (which you might be used to in the F150) and the extra cargo room of the Max. Take a hard look at the Max if it has the options you want, could be worthwhile.

Adam J

Reaction score

simply don't floor it.. then that "high" peak power won't be realized, but it remains there if you need it.
nobody would say a 3,000 pound car was overpowered at 225hp (fox mustang), but rather that it was fun, so a 6,000 pound truck can easily deal the same way with 450hp.
your driving comfort will be dictated more by the suspension settings and the wheel/tire combo, yes?

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had to comment that we have had four Expeditions over the years and all have been Flawless with one exception that was handled quickly under warranty. They were all four wheel drive and that was not unnecessary as we lived in the Rockies at nearly 9,000 ft altitude. Now, having no need for such a large truck and being off the ranch and into a regular house with the almost two car garage, I've gone to a Lincoln Corsair so that my wife's Expedition and my car can fit in the same double car garage. And has a totally gratuitous comment, much as I love the Fords that we have had, and we go back to the original Broncos, the coolest car we ever had was a new then 97 Cadillac STS that I bought for my wife. I love to drive that car. Great performance and not to mention just gorgeous in that almost candy apple red color coming not the Deep one but the lighter one. I wish I knew the name of that paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire