25% over MSRP? Better off doing factory order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpw2021

Reaction score
Just not a good time to buy a new vehicle right now.

If you can wait - not expecting twins or some of this nature - just wait one year.

Things will be very different by then, economy is slowing down and supply chain is starting easy up.

Conditions may be very different if you can wait.

Agreed it is a bad time to buy a new car right now.

However, I think most independent analysts think that things will not clear for *at least* 2-3 years. You can already tell with Ford that they are preemptively deleting literally any feature they think they can get away with for the '23 model years — so Ford is obviously planning for this to be worse, not better, through 2023.

The true solution for this is when Ford (and GM, which is in just as bad a mess as Ford) revamps its entire supply chain, operations, and ordering process. This is not a one-year (or even a five-year) project. The smaller more nimble carmakers will be quicker to adapt. You can order a Subaru or BMW and get it in 3-4 weeks at the local dealer. Unfortunately, the nimble carmakers don't make the big trucks....

I think if you want a new truck, you just have to bite the bullet and place the order and wait and hope they don't delete too many features in the meantime. Assume a one-year timeframe.

I've been waiting for my Limited MAX 302a since November, and it is now stuck at the plant railyard (since early May) with no ETA. It is not just chips that are causing problems -- Ford can't get enough rail cars in and out of the plant, there aren't enough car carriers to deliver cars to dealers, etc etc. Every single piece of the supply chain for Ford (and GM, I hear) is almost completely broken down -- from the ordering, to the parts, to the production, to the delivery. And any one of these things can trigger a huge delay.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you pay is separate from placing a factory order through a dealer (all orders have to go through a dealer as Ford doesn't sell direct to the public). For example, through my employer's partnership with Ford I get to pay the X-Plan price. You can also get the X-Plan price if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Ford stock for the past 6 months (current stock price is $13.54 so that would be an investment of $1,354 to get a $4K discount on a Platinum Max, and you can sell that stock after your purchase). Now, the dealer could also tack on some uplift if they wanted. The trick would be to negotiate the price when you place the order and get it in writing. That way you'll know of any uplift and can decide to place the order with that dealer or dealer-shop for one that will honor the MSRP. There are some slimy dealers that will agree to MSRP then when the vehicle comes in they decide to tack on the uplift (hence the need to get it in writing). I've even seen some dealers advertise significant discounts on some (saw them on KBB.com). So you may find what you're looking for at a good/acceptable price by looking farther from home.
Thanks for that tip! I own waaay more than 100 shares lol. Signing up now and hopefully this will offset any dumb markup my dealer tries to make on my custom order.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip! I own waaay more than 100 shares lol. Signing up now and hopefully this will offset any dumb markup my dealer tries to make on my custom order.
Just make sure that you produce your X-Plan PIN at the time you make the deal; I don't think they can be used after-the-fact.

Pancho258

Reaction score
I just purchased a 22 Timberline from our local dealer. reading some replies I guess I’m lucky that our dealer is not marking up Expeditions. In fact we were first
looking at an F150 and the price out the door was MSRP less some rebates which dropped the price by $3K. Now I live in Texas, McAllen area to be specific. The Rio Grande Valley here is known for being the most new pickups are purchased in the US.

Back to the Expedition. Our Expedition had only been on the dealers lot for 4 days before we purchased. I had been wanting a Stealth Edition but wanted to actually see one before buying. Good luck with that. We went from a 2018 Max Limited to this one. Some interesting changes, most good. First the SO SO. Glove box is smaller with the dash redesign, moved away from LED taillights and interior LED bulbs, ambient lighting is one color, removed the cover over the engine. My biggest issue, no printed owners manual, gone digital. I guess because it would not fit in the redesigned glove box. I’m sure there are some other changes, I’ve not noticed others at this point.

I do recommend the 15 screen option. OMFG it is so cool. The other really cool deal is that Blue Cruise is standard on the Timberline. Adaptive cruise control with the new blue cruise features even when your not able to locate an area that is designated blue cruise is cool. Takes some getting used to, especially when it feels like the steering wheel has a mind if it’s own and it’s not going to let you do what you want.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased a 22 Timberline from our local dealer. reading some replies I guess I’m lucky that our dealer is not marking up Expeditions. In fact we were first
looking at an F150 and the price out the door was MSRP less some rebates which dropped the price by $3K. Now I live in Texas, McAllen area to be specific. The Rio Grande Valley here is known for being the most new pickups are purchased in the US.

Back to the Expedition. Our Expedition had only been on the dealers lot for 4 days before we purchased. I had been wanting a Stealth Edition but wanted to actually see one before buying. Good luck with that. We went from a 2018 Max Limited to this one. Some interesting changes, most good. First the SO SO. Glove box is smaller with the dash redesign, moved away from LED taillights and interior LED bulbs, ambient lighting is one color, removed the cover over the engine. My biggest issue, no printed owners manual, gone digital. I guess because it would not fit in the redesigned glove box. I’m sure there are some other changes, I’ve not noticed others at this point.

I do recommend the 15 screen option. OMFG it is so cool. The other really cool deal is that Blue Cruise is standard on the Timberline. Adaptive cruise control with the new blue cruise features even when your not able to locate an area that is designated blue cruise is cool. Takes some getting used to, especially when it feels like the steering wheel has a mind if it’s own and it’s not going to let you do what you want.
Blue Cruise is only on the 2022 Platinum. It is not on your Timberline. Perhaps you mean intelligent adaptive cruise control with speed sign recognition and lane centering? Blue Cruise is a hands off the wheel system on pre-determined roads. The other is not.

kjtully

Reaction score
Just make sure that you produce your X-Plan PIN at the time you make the deal; I don't think they can be used after-the-fact.
Correct, you have to tell the dealer that you will be using X-Plan for the purchase at the time you order the vehicle (and maybe make a deposit). The x-plan page has all the instructions on what you are to do. They may or may not want the pin at that time. When they enter/generate the order have them send you the Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement (DORA) as it shows both the MSRP and the x-plan prices based on the build configuration at the time of the order. Back in January when I placed my order I gave my dealer the x-plan pin. That pin expired on Apr 22. The sales rep let me know we'll need to generate a new pin come purchase time. X-plan does include price protection, in that you will pay the x-plan price at the time of the order and not what it would be when the vehicle is delivered - this is useful in our current supply chain situation where it is taking may months and had multiple price increases.

Last edited:

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well crap: "To qualify and be eligible for the X-Plan Pin prior to the program ending, we required the completed application and the Ford Stock Ownership be sent to the Shareholder Relations Vehicle Program prior to Wednesday, June 1, 2022.

We are unable to process the Shareholder PIN request due to your AXZ Shareholder X-Plan PIN application has been received after the program has officially ended."

kjtully

Reaction score
Well crap: "To qualify and be eligible for the X-Plan Pin prior to the program ending, we required the completed application and the Ford Stock Ownership be sent to the Shareholder Relations Vehicle Program prior to Wednesday, June 1, 2022.

We are unable to process the Shareholder PIN request due to your AXZ Shareholder X-Plan PIN application has been received after the program has officially ended."
Wow, hadn't heard that yet...I'll have to check that out as I may have a timing issue with my company x-plan and have to go the stock route.

UPDATE: Looks like that the Stockholder x-plan availability ended on 01-Jun-2022.

Ford Authority article

Pancho258

Reaction score
I read that Blue cruise was on the Timberline. I know the other features work. Guess I’ll have to do without.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read that Blue cruise was on the Timberline. I know the other features work. Guess I’ll have to do without.
If you can find where the Timberline was included, that would be greta to know, but I don't have it in my menu system where the owners manual states the settings should be. Everything points to the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control only.