3.5 Ecoboost not developing power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hbar

Reaction score
I recently replaced the water pump, myself, on my 2015. Of course, I had to remove the throttle body. I watched a couple of YouTubes on the throttle body replacement. Since then, the engine runs smooth, but it no longer has the power it had. I called a local shop about calibrating the TB. The guy said it can't be calibrated, it has to be cleaned or replaced. I cleaned it with TB cleaner. No help. I put a new one on. No help. I live in the mountains and have trouble making the grade, sometimes. I dare not try to pass, except on a downhill. Any ideas?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the to throttle body gasket and the connections to the turbo and intercooler on the charge pipes. If any of them are loose, you'll loose air. The intercooler solenoid is a common failure as well, but I can't think of a reason why it would manifest right after changing a water pump. If the other connections are good, I would look at the solenoid next.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the to throttle body gasket and the connections to the turbo and intercooler on the charge pipes. If any of them are loose, you'll loose air. The intercooler solenoid is a common failure as well, but I can't think of a reason why it would manifest right after changing a water pump. If the other connections are good, I would look at the solenoid next.
If it isn't making power, is it throwing codes? It might not throw a CEL, but still have codes. FORSCAN is your friend. You need to see the voltage data coming from the TB if you have no codes. It has been a while since I have played with a 1st Gen 3.5, so I cannot recollect what is normal.

@JasonH nailed what could be another cause, lost pressure, because a pipe has come loose, or got busted in the process. Any crack or leak will cause the same symptoms.

Check EVERY electrical connection, and hose/pipe connection.

OP
OP
H

Hbar

Reaction score
I'll double-check all my airflow connections. Of course, the check engine light is on, but I haven't had it checked, yet. Otherwise, no codes are displayed in the dash. Thanks for the replies.