3-port vs 2-port catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LokiWolf is correct, get the J&L and you will be happy with the results. I installed J&L and tow a good amount and have been happy with the results of the catch can. I can't believe how stinky the crap is that it catches.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're probably right, Loki. I love over thinking things.
If you have read any of my posts, you know I do too. The J&L is the sweet spot. Great product for the money, and does a good job, and requires zero permanent modification.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those on the fence: this chain finally motivated me to get my J&L on order. I was very impressed to click through the Cart to find that shipping was free, AND they had it boxed up and a UPS shipping number assigned to it within 5 minutes of me placing my order. Made in the USA as well.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 Expedition… originally had the Full Race setup. It worked as advertised; until I installed the Full Race Freak-O-Boost CAC, and TurboSmart BOV. At which point I got no accumulation in the catch can.

Decided to go with the J&L. It gets between 1k to 1.2k. I was easy to install. Much cheaper that the Full Race. Wonder why the addition of the new intercooler and/ or the BOV made the catch can not operate like it was supposed to?

With that said, anyone running a stock system interested in a Full Race setup for a great price? IM me if you have questions.

mainiero50

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a bit about the reason for a upr dual valve three-port catch can with a clean side separator. The benefits are very good for overall performance and towing etc. When you install a single two-port catch can it only catches oil on the dirty side, and that is just half the battle as you are still allowing the boost to escape and pressurize the crankcase, and now the pistons have pressure on the top, and the bottom of the piston decreasing efficiency and performance. Then if you add a second small two-port catch can, you are just adding a separate cath can that barely catches any oil because you are allowing the boost to escape by not having a check valve on the dirty side catch can to properly redirect the oil to the clean side catch can.

Lastly, here is where the upr dual valve / three-port catch can with a clean side separator becomes a fully functional and highly beneficial part of the equation. When you properly protect the pcv system on a boosted application, you always want a check valve to prevent the boost from leaking into the crankcase and losing power, as you want all the boost to stay in the intake resulting in more torque and horsepower. Now the dual valve / third port comes into play as it still allows the vacuum to suck all the oil into the dirty side of the catch can while the check valve closes and keeps all the boost in the intake manifold resulting in much smoother effortless towing and overall performance.

That is what the three-port is for, as it uses the vacuum from the inlet tube before the turbo to create the vacuum to keep the pcv running smooth and uninterrupted when the check valve is closed during boost. The added products to have a fully functional kit that does not allow boost leaking into the crankcase under throttle or any type of acceleration is very beneficial and will also improve mpg and efficiency as it allows the engine to utilize the fuel and spark curve much better. The added cost is only to cover the required parts to make a fully functional system run properly.

The reason upr recommends dual valve catch cans with a clean side separator is for overall performance and to deliver results that a two-port catch can is incapable of. When everyone says how great a two-port is and look at all it catches, they are missing the big picture as they're not seeing how much that actually does not get caught and escapes through a two-port catch can. Also, never knowing just how much boost escapes through the pcv system back into the crankcase, causing resistance under the piston during the down stroke creating additional resistance and heat. Whereas a upr dual valve three-port will just allow additional horsepower and smoother operation while allowing the pcv system to operate how they perform best.

Hope this helps everyone to understand the benefits much better of a upr dual valve / three-port catch can system with a clean side separator.

Joe

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed the J&L 2-port can in the PCV side. Too easy.
Workin on my Volant Powercore install tomorrow. I need to make sure the intake temperature sensor wire is long enough.

Still harboring the idea of a CCV catch can. It looks almost too easy as well. CCV line is super easy to get to.

But, we'll see.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had it installed for a few weeks now. Has caught a little. So far so good.

Thanks for recommending the J&L

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After owning the J & L for a while, I' metting just a teaspoon/tablespoon of oil every couple 1000 miles.
Still adding Techron every month though.