3-port vs 2-port catch cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 23 expy about ready for delivery.
I'll be installing a catch can (or 2). I've seen a few cans recommended. But there's a difference I need explained.

The J&L (https://www.jlosc.com/j-l-oil-separ...oost-2022-2023-ford-expedition-3-5l-ecoboost/ ) and Mishimoto (PCV side) (https://www.mishimoto.com/baffled-oil-catch-can-ford-f150-ecoboost-2021-5.html)
Use 2 port cans. However, the UPR and RXP use 3-port catch cans.

Why do some just plumb in in place of the PCV pipe and the 3-port ones have a 3rd connection to the turbo inlet (I think)?

I'm going to be adding cans to the PCV and CCV side. Most install guides I see don;t mention the pressure sensor in the CCV side.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t speak to all of your question, but I put the J&L on at about 8k miles ago on my 2022 and I bet it hasn’t caught even two ounces on the “dirty side”. I can’t image the clean side is going to get much at all. I drive like an old man though and try to mostly stay out of the boost so I might not be facilitating much blow by to catch.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the UPR 3 port model. It does it's job, I empty out the can about every oil change and I would say I get any where from 2 to 5 ounces at most.

I forget all the reasons I chose this one but at the time I was looking to purchase years ago this was the best on the market.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With more research, it seems like the 3-port (dual valve) allows the can to catch crank case vapors using 2 vacuum sources; the intake manifold while under vacuum and from the turbo inlet when under boost. It would make sense that it be able to capture vapors under boost when there's more vapors to capture. The 2-port can's only vacuum source is the intake manifold when not under boost. I'll be towing a camper a lot and guessing that it'll be under boost for long stretches at a time. So the 3-port seems to have an advantage. The "clean side" small catch can seems to operate independently and by all reckoning doesn't catch much.

Does anyone have other experience?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Passenger Side only, vs Passenger and Driver side is how most of these are referred to. Passenger side will catch 95% at at 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost, and not drilling. Returning to stock, only requires reinstalling the factory hoses. J&L is by far the best bang for the buck out there.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition, there are MANY Catch Can threads on here with A LOT of info. I suggest you do a search and do some reading on those.

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In addition, there are MANY Catch Can threads on here with A LOT of info. I suggest you do a search and do some reading on those.
Oh! I have. But I couldn't find anything about WHY there's a difference. Looks like JL and OPR seem to be favorites.
If I use the JL, then nothing flows while under boost though. Is that right? It's attached to the PCV and intake manifold. So with pressure in the intake, nothing flows from the PCV INTO the intake. Crankcase pressure/vapors would flow out the passenger side into the CCV line and into the turbo inlet

OP
OP
J

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got home with my new 23 Expy.
Passenger side: As you would expect. PCV in valve cover, short plastic pipe to intake manifold.
Driver's side: A little different than I expected. No inline pressure sensor between driver's side PCV valve in cover and the turbo inlet pipe. Just the same hard plastic pipe. The fittings even look the same. I'm going to have to get a closer look to see if the fittings are the same.
So I don't need some super expensive system to hook up both sides. Just 2 regular 2-port catch cans.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got home with my new 23 Expy.
Passenger side: As you would expect. PCV in valve cover, short plastic pipe to intake manifold.
Driver's side: A little different than I expected. No inline pressure sensor between driver's side PCV valve in cover and the turbo inlet pipe. Just the same hard plastic pipe. The fittings even look the same. I'm going to have to get a closer look to see if the fittings are the same.
So I don't need some super expensive system to hook up both sides. Just 2 regular 2-port catch cans.
Stop over thinking it. Buy the J&L and install it, done. Will take you longer to order it, than install it.

The passenger side see 95% of the oil, period. That is why J&L does their single can setup on that side, as do others. Remember and 2018+ is the 2nd Gen 3.5 that has both injectors. Between that and the catch can you are golden!