3 Subs, One Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to buy 3 Rockford P3's. 4-Ohms or 2-Ohms is still in consideration.

I looked at the diagrams and I see it's either going to be 2.67 Ohms or 1.34 Ohms, depending on which independence I choose.

How do I go about finding what type of amp I'm going to need, independence wise? I've searched around and couldn't QUITE find what I was looking for.

For the 2.67 should I be looking at 2 Ohms? Or should I be looking at 4? Same with the 1.34. Go down to 1 ohms? Or up to 2?

I don't quite get how these odd numbers play into how the amp puts out its power. Any insight is welcome.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll try to help you, but some more information would be useful...

Based on what you told us, if the load is 2.67 ohms you will need an amp stable to 2 ohms. If the load is 1.34 ohms, you will need an amp stable to 1 ohm. If you went the other way, and went up to 4 ohm stable amp, you would damage the amplifier with such a low load.

As far as power output. Whatever the amp is rated to be stable at is where it will produce is rated power. Most reputable companies will list the output of the amp at different ohm loads.

Questions for you: How much airspace do you have? What size are the subwoofers? What kind of box? What is your budget? Are you looking for spl, sq, or 'sql'? What are the possible vc configurations on these subs?

Finally, I would personally recommend going from three subs to either two subs or four subs. This way you would get an easier load to work with and it would be easier to find an amp. I would recommend wiring the two or four subs to a 4 ohm load and then you will have countless choices for amplifiers.

OP
OP
B

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 subs is just way too much power. I don't have the money to spend 800+ on a 2000 watt amp. When 3 is plenty of power and a 1500ish watt amp is half the price for 500 watts less.

I'm getting three Punch P3 12's. Ported Box. I have all the space behind the 2nd row to work with.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, if you are dead set on that setup, keep in mind what I said about matching the amplifier.

Also, something to consider...running two 15" subs might be a better option. It will take around the same amount of airspace, less power, same or better output, about the same price, and an easier resistance to work with. If I were you, I would do this. And of course, you could accomplish the same thing with four 10's. It might be worth checking out some other brands, too.