3rd gen owner looking for help on a 98 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Hey guys,
The other day my father was checking his fluids and noticed he was down on oil after just having it changed 2 weeks ago. He also checked the antifreeze and believe we found the lost oil. I did some research and it seems the remote oil filter adapter gasket is a common issue.

I'm planning to replace that gasket this weekend but I was hoping to get some tips on getting it done. I'm seeing some say pulling the power steering pump while others say the front diff needs to come down for access. Anyone ever done this that could offer some assistance so I can get this done smoothly?

98 Eddie Bauer
4x4
5.4 with remote oil filter.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the '98? Have you checked the head gasket? They are a common problem on these 1st Generation 5.4 motors.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
How many miles on the '98? Have you checked the head gasket? They are a common problem on these 1st Generation 5.4 motors.
150k and theres no coolant in the oil or any of the other issues associated with a bad head gasket so Im pretty confident it not a head gasket.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head gaskets on gen older 2 valve engines were prone to failure. They switched to a better material on the 3 valve, But this doesn’t sound like a head gasket.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
If the remote filter adapter was leaking, you have oil on the ground. A bad head gasket(not a common problem, unless it was overheated), will burn off/leak pressurized coolant. It sits between top of pistons and valves(head/block). A cracked head or block, may leave oil in coolant. I doubt it, because you have other issues, like a SES light. The engine takes 6 quarts. Maybe, Walmart or Jiffy lube only put 5. Ford deleted the remote, filter in 2000(to save money or bad design?). I know, because mine is above the front diff. It is hard to get at and oil drips over everything, when removed.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
If the remote filter adapter was leaking, you have oil on the ground. A bad head gasket(not a common problem, unless it was overheated), will burn off/leak pressurized coolant. It sits between top of pistons and valves(head/block). A cracked head or block, may leave oil in coolant. I doubt it, because you have other issues, like a SES light. The engine takes 6 quarts. Maybe, Walmart or Jiffy lube only put 5. Ford deleted the remote, filter in 2000(to save money or bad design?). I know, because mine is above the front diff. It is hard to get at and oil drips over everything, when removed.
I actually did the gasket yesterday and finished it today. I had to drop the front diff on the drivers side, power steering pump unbolted and moved then removed the actual cooler. Once I got all that stuff out of the way it was a breeze.

The gasket was blown out at the coolant passage and around the output oil port so I'm very sure this was the cause.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gaskets can blow out in different ways as you've found out. Sometimes on a blown head gasket it is real obvious, like a chunk litterealy blown away. Other times it's just stops sealing around a particular cylinder, that is observed when it and the head are removed. Glad you got dad's SUV up and going leak free. Good job!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze