4.6 - Do I have to pull the fuel rail to remove COP7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can get some pics tomorrow. There are 2 coils that run 4 plugs each on the front passenger side of the motor, and the wires go from there. I guess they must have switched to COPs in the 4.6 in 2000.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
weird, thats like the set-up on the 5.0 explorers. i've never taken a real close look at any 4.6s or owned any. learn something new every day! lol

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
no all the modular ford motors use COP's (4.6, 5.4, 6.8)

i have not had to touch the fuel rails on either my 5.4 or 6.8 but i have not had a chance to look at a 4.6.
97,98,99, had plug wires

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My father in law has a 4.6 in his Lincoln Towncar (97 I think) and it has two coils and regular wires.

I wonder if such a system could be converted.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alaskan,mine looks the same as the pics in the link. I forgot that there is a coil on each side of the engine and the wires run from there. As for converting to COPs, from what I have read, you need a wiring harness from a vehicle that has COPs already. The COPs burn more efficiently, but for the work to convert, its not really worth it.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually meant converting the COPs system to the two coil system, since the COPs are such a pain.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually meant converting the COPs system to the two coil system, since the COPs are such a pain.

What about them don't you like? I would rather have them, but it is way more cost and effort than its worth to convert. I think the modular motor spark plugs a pain in general. When I changed my plugs, I had to blow each one out with an air compressor to keep crap from falling in. I like the old pushrod motors with the plugs on the side. Nothing easier to work on than my old 300 6. . . well I guess I never did work on it other than change oil every 3000 miles. 240k on her and she ran like a champ and guzzled gasoline :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire