4.6 - Do I have to pull the fuel rail to remove COP7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do I gotta pull the fuel rail on drivers side if I want to replace COP 7 (or 8) on a 4.6 V8 -- Seems I will need to do the same @ COP 4 too... 1,2,3,5,6 seem as if they'd come out with removing the fuel rail.

Correct?...

What the heck is all involved with pulling the fuel rails up on both sides?... I see the 2 bolts that secure the rails in place but when I remove those two, will the rails just lift off the fuel injectors? or do I have to remove the injectors too?... WTh? (obviously I'll want to release the pressure first... etc..)

I'm okay with all of that but just want to get a heads up before I dive into something other than a simple coil / plug replace (like hole 1 or 5)

Thanks

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no all the modular ford motors use COP's (4.6, 5.4, 6.8)

i have not had to touch the fuel rails on either my 5.4 or 6.8 but i have not had a chance to look at a 4.6.

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't seen the setup on the Expedition, but on the mustang's 4.6 you don't have to remove the rails.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no all the modular ford motors use COP's (4.6, 5.4, 6.8)

i have not had to touch the fuel rails on either my 5.4 or 6.8 but i have not had a chance to look at a 4.6.

My 99 4.6 XLT has wires instead of COPs. When I replaced my driver's side plugs and wires, I didn't remove the fuel rail, but I did unplug some of the fuel injector connections that were in the way along with some other wires. If you have wires, you don't have to take the fuel rail off, but if you have COPs, I've never had any experience with them.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those instructions look about right. I can look and get back with you on everything I disconnected, but basically, if it was in the way, I took it off, and I didn't worry about taping things since I did it in a day so I remembered it all, and everything pretty much has a certain connection or is easy to tell where it went. But its never a bad idea to be safe that sorry. I forgot to plug the EGR vacuum back in, but it set off the CEL, so i figured it out easy.

Good Luck :waytogo:

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that PDF was exactly what I was looking for... It appears the fuel rails sort of push right over the injectors and are sealed with O-rings... I'm pretty comfortable with that... (they should pop right off)

Only kidding on the colored tape of course :)

Anything new I take on with this rig is like the fuel pump I replaced last weekend... It took me most all day to get the tank out of there... Only about 30-40 minutes to put back in... And of course, now that I've been there / done that, could get the entire job done in about 2 hours...

Thx, expy...

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, it always takes way longer the first time, but is a cinch after that. If you have to take the fuel rail off, it should be just a few bolts and pop off like you said. Since you did the fuel pump, you will be plenty knowledgeable to do this. If it runs good once you replace the COPs, I would run fuel injector cleaner for awhile to get them good and cleaned out, and you should have yourself a great, reliable vehicle!

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 99 4.6 XLT has wires instead of COPs. When I replaced my driver's side plugs and wires, I didn't remove the fuel rail, but I did unplug some of the fuel injector connections that were in the way along with some other wires. If you have wires, you don't have to take the fuel rail off, but if you have COPs, I've never had any experience with them.

really?! i've never messed with a 4.6 up close. by chance have any pics? i'm curious as to how it looks.