4 prong to 7 prong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpappa

Reaction score
I currently converted my 4 prong trailer harness to 7 prong on my 2016 xlt. However, I'm looking for the power wire if any. I'd like to, in a perfect world, not run a line from the battery to plug.
Is there a power wire in the harness anywhere? And what color and where should I look?
This forum showed an orange wire in more recent models under the passenger driver side. Thanks for any help

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. That question was asked recently almost the same way. If you search for it you find a long discussion on this topic.

OP
OP
B

Bigpappa

Reaction score
Thank you. Links were sort of helpful. However still left to not knowing where this elusive unicorn orange 12v wire would be in the harness.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Links were sort of helpful. However still left to not knowing where this elusive unicorn orange 12v wire would be in the harness.
I didn't remember the outcome just that somebody was struggling with the same issue you have.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
That 12 gauge orange wire in the wire harness comes out the same gauge but black at the opposite side of that quick disconnect. That black is a power wire and the shop mechanic at my job uses that same wire to tap into for swapping 4 to 7 plug wiring harness.

Even my 05 expedition has that, but in reference to was I stated above I was talking about 2016+ F-150's

OP
OP
B

Bigpappa

Reaction score
Follow up to help anyone with my findings. I traced the whole wire harness and did not find the 12v unicorn orange wire.
Called dealership. They said run a hot wire with fuse link or tap into an existing 12v line in the rear.
Stopped of at my local hitch install store. An installer told me to tap into a purple/reddish brown wire that goes into a relay above the rear driver framerail. He said it's for a relay and that's what they use.
Any clue what relay is and will this work?

bsevans5

Reaction score
I commented on another thread about this. I have a 2008 expedition el xlt 4x4. It took me a long time hunting on the internet to find information that led me to look for a wiring harness under the hood. I found the harness where a 12v wire went into it, but didn't have a wire coming out on the other end of the connection. I got the correct pin from the dealer and ran a wire from that harness plug in the front under the vehicle and connected it to a 7 pin round connection at the back. I have been meaning to take a picture of that harness for the other thread. I will see if I can do it today and hopefully I'll be able to post it on here. I'll be back with an update...

OP
OP
B

Bigpappa

Reaction score
So I went ahead and tapped into this 12v power source(purple with brown/ red stripe). It goes into this tiny module attached to the frame above rear driver side tire. I have 12v power to the pin now. Hooked up trailer towed it to gas station checked tires and to see how the exp tows. It charged the batteries enough to operate electric lift on trailer. My biggest concern for the power.
I got the exp after trading my diesel f250. Curious to see its capabilities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360