4 pin to 7 where is the 12V line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 2016 XLT 4X4 with the Class IV tow package. I will be adding a 7 pin. I see the wire tagged elec which I know to be the blue I need for the brakes. Before I cut into the loom - does anybody know if the orange 12 volt wire is also in there? Another old thread on the Truck forum said the orange is only run to the drivers rear door. I looked there but I didn't see a split off wire. I don't want to cut into the loom under the door if the 12V has already been run back to the area around the 4 pin. I also don't want to cut into the loom near the 4 pin if I'm going to end up needing to go buy wire to run the 12V from under the drivers side door.
I ordered the Prodigy P3 to Ford adapter which I thought connected to the plug in the picture.

There is 14 inch wide cooler in front of the radiator - is that the extra towing tranny cooler or just standard?
image.jpeg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2016 XLT 4X4 with the Class IV tow package. I will be adding a 7 pin. I see the wire tagged elec which I know to be the blue I need for the brakes. Before I cut into the loom - does anybody know if the orange 12 volt wire is also in there? Another old thread on the Truck forum said the orange is only run to the drivers rear door. I looked there but I didn't see a split off wire. I don't want to cut into the loom under the door if the 12V has already been run back to the area around the 4 pin. I also don't want to cut into the loom near the 4 pin if I'm going to end up needing to go buy wire to run the 12V from under the drivers side door.
I ordered the Prodigy P3 to Ford adapter which I thought connected to the plug in the picture.

There is 14 inch wide cooler in front of the radiator - is that the extra towing tranny cooler or just standard?
Welcome to the forum.

The picture that you posted is of your OBDII connector under the dash. If you have the towing package you will have the 7 pin connector in the back beside the hitch on the right side under the round cover.

To find out for sure what's in your truck go to the FordEtis website and put in your vin number to download a build sheet. https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...id=2A80300444C39AED0C99E1EE997B098B.eccvas507

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the link and information about the connection. I have the Trailer Tow Prep Package. A 4 pin is welded to the hitch. I plan on grinding off the welds and placing the mount for the 7 pin in its place.
Now I need to locate the connection under the dash to plug in the brake controller.
I installed a 12 V line, controller and 7 pin on an Odyssey. I just expected this to be easier.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the link and information about the connection. I have the Trailer Tow Prep Package. A 4 pin is welded to the hitch. I plan on grinding off the welds and placing the mount for the 7 pin in its place.
Now I need to locate the connection under the dash to plug in the brake controller.
I installed a 12 V line, controller and 7 pin on an Odyssey. I just expected this to be easier.
I'm surprised that the harness isn't tucked up behind the bumper. Most of these trucks come with the towing package already installed. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll crawl under mine and try to get some pictures of the 7-pin connector and the wiring harness. Maybe from there you can identify what you need or see if it is tucked up underneath.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
There was another harness for the electric brake controller under the dash of my 07. It was tucked way up closer to the center console of the dash on mine.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found which illustrates a much easier path to connecting the controller.

This leaves my question about the location of the 12 V line. I guess I'll cut into the area surrounding the blue wire - (right behind the 4 pin) to see if the 12 V is hiding in there somewhere. If it's not there then I'll cut into the section under the drivers door.

Sent from my iPad

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I found which illustrates a much easier path to connecting the controller.

This leaves my question about the location of the 12 V line. I guess I'll cut into the area surrounding the blue wire - (right behind the 4 pin) to see if the 12 V is hiding in there somewhere. If it's not there then I'll cut into the section under the drivers door.

Sent from my iPad
The video shows the harness I was talking about.

What are you looking to do with the 12v your looking for? Id be willing to bet everything you need it tied up under the truck in the factory harness

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would remove spare tire and double check the harness is not already there for a plug and play connection.
very odd bird you have, with only a trailer prep?

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ground off the weld and removed the 4 pin mount. I made it smooth so I could install the 7 pin. I then painted over the area. Although the Hopkins 4 pin connection was smaller than that of the Ford - I jammed them together and circled them with a zip tie. I also attached the blue wire so I should have everything except power to the trailer.

ETrailer talks about the 12V being located under the driver side door. Under the driver side doors I can see the one inch shielding-I just ran out of time today to cut it open to see what's inside.

bsevans5

Reaction score
Ok, here's more information about my story than you care to know, but it will give context to how I got to the point that I may be able to help. I have a 2010 ford expedition el xlt. It came with the 4 flat and hitch. I searched for quite some time to find out what the difference was between my version and the heavy duty tow package. I called numerous dealers who supposedly looked up my VIN and all that, but couldn't answer my question. Finally I learned that the only difference was a 7 pin, heavy duty radiator, and heavy duty transmission cooler. Adding these things would up my tow capacity by almost 3k pounds. My axle ratio was the same, just those three differences. I found the blue electric brake wire for a 7 pin capped just behind my 4 pin connector. Unfortunately on my vehicle it wasn't just plug and play because I couldn't find a 12v lead (which brings me to this post--and hopefully some help). I searched all over the web trying to figure out where it could be. I read that people just run one from the battery, but wanted to make this as clean and factory as possible. I stumbled across some posts and after some poking around with the information I had, I found that there is a 12v wire that goes into a wiring harness under the hood near the back driver side part of the engine compartment, but it doesn't come out the other side of the wiring harness...so basically it was run into a wiring harness, but not run out of it on the other end. I went down to the dealer, got the proper size pin and brought the wire out the other end, ran it in under the vehicle and wired it into a 7 pin. Maybe your year is stopped at a different spot, but that is where I found mine. If you decide you want to see a picture of the harness I'm talking about, let me know and I can take one and figure out a way to get it to you.

Any chance I can get in saving someone the headache I went through to figure something out, I'm happy to help.