4 Wheel Auto Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack RJ

Reaction score
I sometimes use the Drive Mode rotary knob to put my 2018 Expedition in “Sport Mode”. Per the owner’s manual, Sport Mode increases responsiveness of the throttle and shifts, steering, and stability control, and puts the vehicle in 4-Wheel Auto, “4A”. I prefer the overall feel off the vehicle in this mode. However, when I then accelerate moderately from about 30 mph, the vehicle “bucks”, which feels very much like 1 or 2 cylinders are misfiring. The vehicle does the same thing (but to a lesser degree) when I use 4-Wheel Auto by just pressing the “4A” button. Maybe the clutch pack in the transfer case? Anyone else experience this issue?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In Sport mode the transmission is stupid aggressive, so it upshifts hard and downshifts hard and holds RPM, and slams through the gears so you can hammer on it. I LOVE the suspension on the sport mode, but I absolutely HATE the transmission settings in Sport mode. It won't even shift into overdrive unless I get it over 66mph. At 65mph, I stays in 9th, and sucks fuel. If you have a non tow pack, I bet it stays in 9th until way over 70 mph.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does 4A hurt fuel milage compared to 2wheel drive? I've never messed with it, and I get so sick of swapping it after sport mode throws it into 4A eveytime.....

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have bucking in 4A, but I have swooshing noise at around 2,000 rpm and gear whine.

I generally go to "sport" mode and then press the 2H button to get out of 4A

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've not even tried "sport mode" yet. Are we talking really significant performance in trade for the reduced fuel efficiency?

ib_jigged

Reaction score
Sport mode puts an even bigger smile on my face when I drive this thing!

tyun777

Reaction score
Sport mode is difference from night and day. But I feel like every time I press gas in sport mode, it is sucking money out of my wallet. I too wish there was an option just to adjust the suspension only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sport mode holds the trans in a very aggressive gear, so you have power immediately!

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sport mode is difference from night and day. But I feel like every time I press gas in sport mode, it is sucking money out of my wallet. I too wish there was an option just to adjust the suspension only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha,, yeah, I look at the fuel consumption bar and every time it is on boost I see $$ flying away

Plati

Reaction score
Does 4A hurt fuel milage compared to 2wheel drive? I've never messed with it, and I get so sick of swapping it after sport mode throws it into 4A eveytime.....
Had 3 Expy's (99, 03, 14) and mostly leave it in AWD … but I have tested the MPG's going between AWD & 2WD, mostly on a flat interstate. I've also run a 1/2 day in one vs the other.

I don't see much if any difference (none) but there are people who will say there is a difference in MPG's … like 1 mpg? It just seems safer to leave it in AWD for that sudden rainstorm and better road grip. I don't think it wears it out by leaving it in AWD either.