4r100 Experts Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 99 EB, 5.4. I've been running an SCT X4 with some 5Star tunes for a couple of years...primarily to keep an eye on my trans temp, and coolant temp. This summer I decided to add A-pillar gauge pods for the trans temp, coolant, temp, and oil pressure....(primarily because I like the look). Anyway, I decide to leave the X4 installed for a while to see how much difference in readings I got. Needless to say, I was VERY surprised with the differences. The trans temp gauge was consistently 5-10 degrees cooler than the X4. I have the temp sensor mounted in the driver side test port. The coolant temp gauge was also consistently 5-10 degrees cooler than the X4. Since winter has gotten here, I have noticed the trans temp gauge is consistently 20 degrees cooler than the X4.

So, I guess my questions are....Is there a reason the fluid in the test port would be 20 degrees cooler in the winter than wherever the OBD port reads the temp from ?? Is there some type of bypass in there for cooler temps ?? Is there a better place to mount the sensor for more accurate temp readings (more in line with the X4) ??