4wd to 2wd 2004 Expedition help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reed

Reaction score
I would like to remove the CV axles off my 4x4 truck. The front trans drive shaft was removed before I bought it and now the CV axles are clicking. Can I put these 2wd spindles like these > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Hub-Bearing-Assembly-Front-for-Ford-Expedition-Lincoln-Navigator-03-06-2WD/202607609637?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 And removed the whole CV axle drive shaft?
I’ll check for sure tomorrow but I’m pretty sure you could just take the cv axles off and run the 4wd spindles.

OP
OP
Kevin Masters

Kevin Masters

Reaction score
I read that the wheel bearings need the support of the CV shaft in the center or they will go bad. The 2wd spindles has no hole in the center. If the 2wd spindles are the same size with the same lug nut pattern it would be perfect.. I would just need to remove the CV axle.

Reed

Reaction score
I read that the wheel bearings need the support of the CV shaft in the center or they will go bad. The 2wd spindles has no hole in the center. If the 2wd spindles are the same size with the same lug nut pattern it would be perfect.. I would just need to remove the CV axle.
Are the bearings worn?

Reed

Reaction score
2136FE85-BE26-4B85-8438-E764141FD34E.jpeg 5B6671ED-FB73-4846-B19F-739A19F96514.jpeg B7303642-1332-4F7B-A15E-603F74024AD7.jpeg B223E0A5-F1BD-462D-8A36-80420AE293DB.jpeg 0954D3AF-FE32-43F5-A65A-939F0E744B21.jpeg
The directions my thoughts are going is if you still need the support for the bearing pull the CV axle and and cut it off. (See pic, you’d have to make sure to leave enough of the axle on the back side so when you tighten the axle bolt it will squeeze it and keep everything tight. If you still ha e the differential in the expy that’s but 3 bolts and it drops right out(save some weight and would make for a nice little resell value.) Not sure if the 2wd spindles are bolt up and I’m also not sure what kind of check lights would come on swapping in the 2wd spindle. You’d also have to block off vacuum lines that go to the hub. ABS MIGHT be a little different.

Reed

Reaction score
Or you could just go the trial and error way and see if the 2wd bearing assembly fits also wouldn’t hurt to check if the spindles themselves have the same part number between 4wd and 2wd. Haha I like trying things just to see if they work and 1/2 the times it bites me in the arse so if you’re not curious don’t do what I mentioned.

OP
OP
Kevin Masters

Kevin Masters

Reaction score
Bearings are not worn. The vacuum lock has the axle engaged which has my CV turning with the tire. When I make turns I hear the CV axle clacking like a duck lol. I don't have 4x4 the front trans shaft was removed before I bought it. So I assume it's toast.

Reed

Reaction score
Bearings are not worn. The vacuum lock has the axle engaged which has my CV turning with the tire. When I make turns I hear the CV axle clacking like a duck lol. I don't have 4x4 the front trans shaft was removed before I bought it. So I assume it's toast.
Just a thought, you could try running a full vacuum line and bypass the actuator to keep your front hubs unlocked. The hubs on these expeditions are locked without vacuum. The vacuum pressure overcomes the spring on the lock. Kind of a nice fail safe if you were to lose vacuum you would still have 4WD. So it COULD possibly be your actuator is bad or the relay/fuse to the actuator. Yes I know it’s a pretty backwards setup most vehicles hubs lock under vacuum. Stumped me for a bit when I lifted the front end of the bare frame and started spinning the wheels and noticed my hubs were locked in. Still your most simple fix would be to buy wheel bearing hub assembly for a 2WD and see if they work and if they don’t make sure you can return them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1