4x4 not engaging. No light on dashboard, no sound of transfer case switching to 4 low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had my transfer case replaced on my 04 eddie bauer with a used unit (mechanic said it was stuck in 4 high) and this apparently damaged the transmission so as soon as I got it home I had to take it to a transmission shop for a rebuild. I tried to engage 4x4 yesterday and nothing happened. No light on the dashboard for 4 high or 4 low, no sound of transfer case switching to 4 low. I guess I will have to take it back to the shop that replaced the transfer case whenever the roads clear, but in the meantime, is there anything I can be checking into as to why 4x4 is not engaging? It's super frustrating to have gone through replacing the transfer case and rebuilding the transmission and not have 4x4 the first time I need it. The transfer case has a parts and labor warrany, but I should have tested it before left the shop :/

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actuator motor?

What is the signal chain? Can I check to see if voltage is being applied to a specific actuator motor? I don't have the proper documentation. Is the main computer telling the transfer case to engage? What is the signal path for the 4x4 lights on the dashboard? Trying to find out what I need to check to see where the fault lies. Might be mechanical, might be electrical.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You checked fuses 20 and 115 right ? They power the 4x4 control module, and that in turn powers the switch that you have on the dash. You can use ForScan to look at the 4x4 module and see what kind of signals it's getting or error codes.

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You checked fuses 20 and 115 right ? They power the 4x4 control module, and that in turn powers the switch that you have on the dash. You can use ForScan to look at the 4x4 module and see what kind of signals it's getting or error codes.

I haven't analyzed the fuses yet, but burnt fuses imply other problems. I'm not familiar with the issues youve suggested but I will check those first and foremost Thank you, much appreciated :)

Also the under-boob or your image is epic... party...

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a video online that showed how the 4x4 hub system works.

I tested and everything is working properly at the solenoid so I know that the 4wd module, switch, and solenoid are working. I can't find a wiring diagram so I will go to Just Ask for more support.

OP
OP
Dudeth

Dudeth

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After further troubleshooting I found that IWE solenoid was switching properly and sending vacuum properly to front hubs. I ended up getting on JustAsk and speaking with a ford tech and was advised to have a mechanic check for codes and found a bunch of codes relating to the transfer case contact plate. He said that he was confident that the transfer case shifter was bad. This is why the lights aren't coming on for 4x4 on the dash because the system isn't getting the info it needs from transfer case. The mechanic who replaced the transfer case apparently didn't test it (and I didn't either for some dumb reason). He will be putting in a warranty request to replace the transfer case shifter.