4x4 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The drive shaft and both half shafts all bolt to the associated drive hubs coming out of the front chunk. If all of those small connecting bolts are removed, there shouldn't be much more to just dropping the entire thing, Correct? Thinking it might be easier to just fully reseal the entire thing on the bench vs on ones back.

That's correct.. The half shafts can be removed without the use of jack stands. In fact, I find it easier since to do with load present, since this will make the half shaft angle nearer to level.

Once you remove both all the shafts. Dropping the front diff to work in very easy after that :)

:head3:

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Thanks for the info....I think that is the approach I'll take and do it 100% new....I dont even like weeps let alone leaks....do it right or not at all.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....I think that is the approach I'll take and do it 100% new....I dont even like weeps let alone leaks....do it right or not at all.

Amen bro!

This is what it will look like with the half shafts removed and the hub actuators covered with duct tape... I am getting ready to drop my entire front end for it's annual maintenance... Been off-roading in a lot of salt water lately.. By removing the non critical parts now, makes my job quicker when the time comes... Do it right or not at all :)

:head3:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Fairly clean looking undercarriage for a salt water used rig....I remember my Bro in law used to take his f250 to Hatteras NC all the time, and even though he kept it rinsed and cleaned the underside looked like a sunken ship with all the rust.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Fully reworked and back on the road. Wasnt that bad. Seeing as how I was going to rework all the balljoints and such due to a slight front end knock, the Pulling of the shafts was quite easy. Gen 2 shafts pop right out with a slight tug of a slide hammer. No need to go internal of the chunk. Back in Bidness. Thanks for all the feedback.

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
question.. are the front pinion seals hard to replace? I think that i have found where mine has developed a leak and i couldn't figure it out.. but i feel better now that i have found it.

any advice is good...