4x4H and 4x4L Engaging Click Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowLimited

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched high and no to no avail about a noise I am hearing when I engage 4H an 4L. It sounds like a pop/click noise. Should I be worried about this or is it normal? And yes I shift into neutral when switching to 4L - This is my first expedition.

It is a 2012 Expedition limited, standard length, 20” wheels, stock tires, stock everything. This vehicle was a single owner and it only has 37k miles on it. And I’m pretty sure it was never put into 4WD in its life. Please help me out on this.

Thank you!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A pop or click on 4L is entirely normal, you might even hear the actuator itself if you do it with a door open. 4H not so much, but it's possible. It's weird that it does it for 4H but not 4A because they would click from the hubs engaging and the front diff engaging, the torque split from the transfer case is electronically controlled clutches that shouldn't click at all.

If it's occasional, I wouldn't be too worried. If it ALWAYS does it when going into 4H and NEVER when going into 4A then I'd be concerned, but I also wouldn't have any idea what's going on… hahahaha.

OP
OP
SnowLimited

SnowLimited

Reaction score
I checked the owners Manuel and it states that Small noises and sounds are normal when engaging the 4x4 system any time. Sometimes you hear it and sometimes you don’t. I’ve been searching like a mad man trying to make sure it is normal. Everything seems to engage and work as it should. And the noises I am hearing only happen when I engage the system. For example switching into 4A/4H/4L they all make a small click noise. I stated before that I didn’t hear a pop in “4A” but I’ve been paying more close attention and it makes the same noise in all settings. No binding or whining noise just a simple click/pop one time and then no other noises are present. Thanks for the reply Dewey!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it at all. A constant grinding/ratcheting sound is common in these systems and that's something to worry about but if it all clunks into gear and then works, it's fine. :)

OP
OP
SnowLimited

SnowLimited

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I’m glad you responded, I’m glad you did I was starting to get nervous haha! I’m used to my buddies on the F150Forum responding within the hour. It’s really different on this forum. But hey I’m a new guy no one wants to talk to the newb :hidesbehindsofa:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a piece of friendly advice, even though your issue is drive line related, more of us read the Expedition 1st through 4th gen column. You probably would get more responses posting there. You can list any conditions with your vehicle there. New posts pop up in my mail box, so I can read/respond quicker.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk