5.4 engine advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjcnaples

Reaction score
Hi I’m a newbie to this so please bare with me. I have a 1999 Expedition due to a earlier water pump issue. Which has been corrected it ran hot. Now I believe it has developed a blown head gasket. I purchase a test kit which checks for exhaust gas in the cooling system and that test positive. This is my question. I’m a good or average mechanic. And after reading about this. I’m not sure the best way to continue forward. How hard is it ( special tools, etc needed) to just replace the head gaskets and get heads checked for flatness and reinstall. OR would it be better to find a long block with heads. And just bolt on the accessories? Time isn’t the issue, money is.
Also went apart what other items ( timing, oil, coils, etc ) should I consider to replace also. Any direction would be great. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2000 with 235,000 miles. I added the sealer to the motor and ran it for another 15,000 miles and junked it when the rear suspension rotted out.

The repair isn't a huge problem, but if you want to do it right, you'll spend a lot of money changing other stuff "while you're at it". If you pay for labor, you're probably better off putting in a rebuilt engine. If you do it yourself, you'll want to spend about $2000 on other new stuff while it's apart.

Sure you can just pull it apart and replace the gasket on the cheap. But it's a lot of work. Exhaust manifold will be shot, hoses, and all that stuff. Then you'll worry that you didn't do more while the engine was apart.

Very tough choices for a 20 year old truck that's no longer worth spit.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck is in good shape I’d say go for fixing it. I wouldn’t add sealer unless you plan to junk the truck.

Some think I’m crazy for replacing the exhaust manifolds on my 07’ with 170k miles.....people think the trucks should be junked once they are 10 years old rather than repair items. I don’t see it that way if it’s a good truck, my 07’ runs great and is in great shape. I repair and maintain. Chassis in great shape.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with [emoji581] master. Anytime an engine overheats it's bad. Blowing a head gasket or 2 makes things worse. You can easily put as much into that engine as the SUVs worth. Are you planning on keeping this vehicle long term? How many miles on this beast? We here like to keep as many of these 5800 pound people haulers going. That being said, I'd tear into it, that's easy, but try to line up another 99-02 motor with low miles, just in case. Rebuilding your heads, and pressure testing them for cracks is about $400.00 to $500.00 by themselves. You got timing chains, hoses, gaskets, and all kinds of goodies. These days, parts add up. As always keep in touch.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rjcnaples

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The engine issue is the only problem the truck has. It has 134K miles on it and is in great condition inside and out. So I’m m going to buy rebuilt warranty long block and put it in. I live in Florida so do you have any suggestions on where to purchase a long block. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PowerSource has a pretty good reputation. They sell fully rebuilt long blocks with valve covers and all and ship the engine...their website is lacking to be kind....they use oem parts and I’ve read do a good job.

You can get a 5.4L 3V with pans and covers on for under $3,000 after core return. A 2V is around $2,500 if I remember correctly.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a lot of work to pull the heads but doable.
Some would rather just pull engine and do it on a stand.
How many miles?
I would have heads cleaned up/surface cut/milled if they are warped but I bet they just need a basic "clean up" and put new gaskets on.
I would not do valve job and all that.
These things go 300K+ with no valve issues.
You will have exhaust manifold stud issues to fix once heads are off.
Either get stud kit or cheaper yet like I did, some grade 8 bolts and new felpro gaskets.
No real perfect solution as steel rusts away bolts or stud nuts and stainless that ford sells to "fix" isn't technically metallurgically the proper application.

I knew the new bolts would last longer than I would have the vehicle they were in.

Way test for head gasket failure is compression test on each cylinder and see if any plugs have coolant on the electrode when you pull them and a bad HG should blow steam out the tailpipe and or mix coolant into oil and make it look like a Wendy's frosty.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2000 with 235,000 miles. I added the sealer to the motor and ran it for another 15,000 miles and junked it when the rear suspension rotted out.

The repair isn't a huge problem, but if you want to do it right, you'll spend a lot of money changing other stuff "while you're at it". If you pay for labor, you're probably better off putting in a rebuilt engine. If you do it yourself, you'll want to spend about $2000 on other new stuff while it's apart.

Sure you can just pull it apart and replace the gasket on the cheap. But it's a lot of work. Exhaust manifold will be shot, hoses, and all that stuff. Then you'll worry that you didn't do more while the engine was apart.

Very tough choices for a 20 year old truck that's no longer worth spit.

2k is a bit high.
most expensive thing on that engine is probably the injectors,
which should last very very long, especially if you properly clean them

though you would want to replace idler pully and whatever else is up there, which are all cheap
ABS leaks can be cheaply sealed, its going to look mean, but it will work. then just bypass the ABS after sealing. though, the truck will probably be much more dangerous to handle, if by chance the ABS is programmed for traction control. but i seriously doubt the system can sense what the wheels are doing. which is a good thing, less sh** to break.
i would bypass the cats, or do some highly jewish legal sh** which *technically* could pass as a cat. though, no police can legally be an expert on emissions, or something. idk who deals with emissions on the road.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
biggest nightmare is the main wire harness or any copper wiring in general
though, less of a nighmare would be connectors and how the socket pins is soldered, those are easy to diagnose

i think the wiring on these trucks are good, not like the previous gen atleast
idk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I will never just do heads on an old block. You run the risk of creating blow-by between cylinder rings and cylinder walls.

Ask me how I know.

Create engine 100%.