5.4 Issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of help here. This morning going to work I started my 99 EB up, its turning over but the engine won't fire up. I try started it 3x then eventually the 3rd time it fired up by pressing the gas pedal. Later today during my lunch break I tried to start up again and did the same thing. When I got off work it works fine now. Anyway I know it works fine right know but I just don't trust it and tomorrow I'm sure it will do that again. Is it the fuel system, ECM (God I hope not) etc. I hope someone can help me figure this out. Thanks! (^_^)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well no one has responded to you yet so I will take a crack at it. Do you have a check engine light? You probably would have said so if you did, but just to check. Without a code though its hard to try and pinpoint the problem. It could be that the fuel pump is going bad, but I don't think that it would allow the truck to start after giving it some gas on the pedal. Does it sound like the engine is cranking with full force when it isn't starting?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Konasan

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well no one has responded to you yet so I will take a crack at it. Do you have a check engine light? You probably would have said so if you did, but just to check. Without a code though its hard to try and pinpoint the problem. It could be that the fuel pump is going bad, but I don't think that it would allow the truck to start after giving it some gas on the pedal. Does it sound like the engine is cranking with full force when it isn't starting?

Hi FordandPolaris! The check engine light is not on and yes the engine is cranking full force when it didn't start. This happened to me twice today although with a couple tries, the engine starts up.

mpsjr

Reaction score
It sounds like a fuel related issue, and my guess would be the fuel filter and/or fuel pump. How old is the filter? They should be changed every 35,000 miles or so anyway. You really need to check the fuel pressure on your fuel rail to see if there's pressure while trying to start it. If the pressure is low, then I'd start by replacing the filter, and then see about taking it to a shop to check the pump. If there is enough pressure on your fuel rail, then it could be a bad, or dirty injector(s).

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I assume you are just giving a bit of throttle. If you go wide open throttle it goes into clear flood mode and does not inject any more fuel while cranking. If your w.o.t. when it starts its flooding for whatever reason.

As said it may be fuel related. Because of the individual coil on plugs, ignition related issues would be more likely to create a miss than a no start situation.

Its possible your IAC valve is faulty or in need of cleaning but this can also create idle issues. The IAC opens a predetermined amount for start up. (If the IAC is completely closed or blocked the engine would stall and or not start with out some throttle)

If it is running well otherwise you can rule out the mass air sensor as it is not used during start up.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Konasan, I want you to try something. when you start having issues, rotate the ignition key to the RUN position (do not take it to the START position). Wait there about 5 seconds and then attempt to start the truck. If it fires off like it normally does, then you have a bad fuel pump. If it is still having issues, then I would go after the IAC valve, especially if you notice that your idle varies by about 200 RPM or so when the motor is cold. If you need assistance in cleaning the IAC valve, let us know. It is easy to do.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check it like Thermo said and also watch for the theft light flashing. when you crank it does it spit and sputter a little but not really start or does it just crank over?

OP
OP
Konasan

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys sorry for the late reply. I was busy couple weeks ago. Thank you so much for your replies guys. Right now it's working fine but when it's less 1/4 full tank of gas(or 25 miles before empty on the FC/compass display) left that's when the ISSUE comes up. And I have another question too. Do I need to depressurized the fuel lines in order to replace the fuel filter and do I really need a special disconnecting tool for it? I just read it on the Chilton Manual.