5 star tune...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am just curious. Its alot of money...but is a 5 star tune worth it for a 2 valve 5.4? I was on their site, and though about a 87 tow tune, and a 89 tow tune, and possibly a 87 economy tune when solo on a long highway drive.

Towing our Travel trailer it tows good, don't ever feel unsafe, but the damn thing doesn't have enough balls... I have been towing around 60...but it seems to struggle. As stated before, trans temps are about 178 to 185.

How does a 5 star tune work? Does it connect through my OBD2 port? Do they make a Y adapter for a OBD2 port so I can still monitor with my Torque Pro app? Is it worth it, or should I save my money... Tow with it for this year and try and get a newer Expedition next year with a 3 valve 5.4 and a 6 speed trans?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has no problem cruising along at 65-70 MPH with 5-6,000 pounds behind it, no tune. Wouldn’t even know it’s there. I have heard many say it’s worth it because of the improved throttle and shift response..... I can’t say personally. I’ve thought about it but never pulled the trigger. I guess in a way only you can decide..... if you want to keep your truck maybe is worth it.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much weight are you towing? I have an 03 EB 5.4 and tow a 5000 lb boat and trailer. It tows very well. Make sure your not in overdrive especially going uphill. On flat areas and downhill, I can use overdrive with my setup without a problem.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am towing about 6800 pounds... A travel trailer. I towed a race car years ago on an open car trailer and a 23ft boat with my old expedition which was a 97, 5.4 and 3.73 gears...and towed like a breeze. Could always stay in OD, and tow between 65 and 70 without thinking about it. But towing a travel trailer is WAY different. I am pulling a brick through the air, VS an aerodynamic boat or car... a big difference.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John your Pontiac drag car in your tag, is it 66 or 67?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
65' all steel, Pontiac powered(no Chevy stuff in it) naturally aspirated... Ran 9.96 @ 134.7 in Denver. Fastest it ever ran. Most of the time it ran 10.03 to 10.15 depending on track conditions.

Sure miss that thing!