$500 98 Expy with 239,000 Hauls Iron 1000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRHaulsee

Reaction score
Back in late December I purchased a 1998 EB Expy for $500. 4WD, 4.6.

This is me buying it from the PO.

S20131221_143525.jpg

S20131221_143542.jpg

The 8.8 rear axle was dead with chunks of bearing races and stripped ring and pinion teeth lying in the housing. Body was great, Interior was fair. 239,000 miles, bypassed heater cores.

Hey $500:party36:

I purchased a set of 3.55 takeout gears from a late model Mustang and a used 31 spline TL carrier from an Explorer. Got a rear bearing/seal/shim kit and set to work. Total cost about $215. I pulled the rear axle completely out just to make it easier to work on. A week later the rear was back in.

S20140104_104106.jpg

Rear%20Complete.jpg

Picked up front and rear heater cores and blend door. $135. Three days later I had good heat.

Since I purchased this thing with no test drive you could imagine I was a bit worried what else might be wrong with it. Initial test drive went great. Other than the drivers side exhaust manifold leaking it ran and shifted great. The rear was even quiet. I drove the truck about 50 miles.

Then I found out Monday I had to get 1300 lbs of iron castings from Suffolk Virginia to Rahway New Jersey NOW:jawdrop:

Tossed the 15 castings in the back of the Expy and off we went. Steady cruise at 70 mph with no issues. Hell, it even averaged right at 16 mpg. The 450 mile cruise up went by with no issues. Didn't have any problems until I stopped at the machine shop to deliver the castings. I went inside and locked the truck. When we came back out I couldn't get the truck unlocked. None of the door key holes would rotate and the remote chose to die. The unlock button simply stopped working.

Eventually we got the remote to unlock one last time by dismantling it and jumping the terminals inside. Unloaded and back in the truck. The 450 miles back went easily until I was about 50 miles away....

You guys remember that the south east had a BIG snowstorm (for us) Tuesday night. Yup. 6" of snow. Dropped her into 4WD and did the last 50 miles with no problems except it was so cold the windshield washer fluid froze. I had to stop several times just to clean the windshield.

Total trip averaged 15.8 mpg and went flawlessly for a truck that had literally been rescued from going to the junk yard 4 weeks earlier. It used just a tiny bit of oil in the 1000 mile drive.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that sounds like my adventure. I got my '97 xlt for 400 at 274k and had her driving for just 150 in parts. intake gaskets and the metal hose under the intake. also needed a tune up. 4k miles later she is doing fine.

has new brakes all around rotors/pads. new air suspension bags and shocks ford oem parts by the logos stamped.

new water pump/tstat and it has the towing package.

bad- needed four new tires. spare tire hoist broke. needs some cosmetic work on the front, and needs front suspension work. last service was at 100k..so 177k later...she is creaking.

I need to make a proper album of the progress but my move to MI is really taxing me. album of the before pics
album of the cleaned carpet.

as she sits today:coz7doG.jpg

Last edited:

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations on your great buy! There are several of us on here that live in Hampton Roads. Thats amazing that you got that for such a good deal, and you got it up and running with not a high amount of cost.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the find and trip... welcome to the site...guess we need to set up an expedition meet this spring/summer for Hampton roads

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP
D

DRHaulsee

Reaction score
Congratulations on your great buy! There are several of us on here that live in Hampton Roads. Thats amazing that you got that for such a good deal, and you got it up and running with not a high amount of cost.

Very little cost but a lot of time. I had the rear diff apart perhaps as many as 10 times setting pinion depth and preload, backlash, tooth pattern and carrier preload. It's not all that difficult but it sure is time consuming.

The heater cores...That's a lot of time also.

Several other normal Expy issues have to be fixed.
I have new remotes on the way. That's pretty simple. I also need to see if penetrating oil will free up the lock tumblers.
I don't open the drivers side door window as I'm not sure it would go back up. Again, not a big deal. I just need to order a replacement window regulator and motor.
The exhaust manifold is going to be time consuming as I know I have at least 3 studs to replace.
I broke the ABS sensor in the rear when I dropped the axle. I need to replace that. I think that's why A4WD doesn't work but 4Hi and 4Lo do.
The PO says the AC works fine. I haven't had a chance to find out.
I think it will also need front ball joints soon.

Hmm, that looks like a big list but I could have easily spent $3k to $5k and ended up with a truck that needs the same amount of work.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"I don't open the drivers side door window as I'm not sure it would go back up. Again, not a big deal. I just need to order a replacement window regulator and motor."

What's the issue with the window regulator? I had my rear one come detached from the regulator. jb weld solved that problem:favorites37: